[SOLVED] How to prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing (not download) GPU driver right after log-on

seriousgigi

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2015
Hi all these installing GPU drivers, cleaning them using DDU which i dont understand any of it... The problem is i turned off "Windows automatically downloads and installs drivers ...." option from device settings and cleaned all gpu drivers using DDU in safe mode but right after log-on, Windows automatically installs an old Radeon driver without my permission. It takes 15-30 seconds to install it. The funny thing, it is like a fight against time because at the same time i am trying to install appreciated version of Radeon but even before i hit the install driver button Windows would have already being completed the process. It seems Windows has already downloaded that version so it doesn't download again. At the end i cant install GPU driver properly.

Anyway the question is how can i prevent Windows from automatically install GPU driver on startup.

Last edited:
Solution
we have to clean drivers via using either GPU product software or DDU. why we need them, is bill gates an idiot?

anyway the point is i dont want to install new driver over old version because i read lots of articles about not to do this. every article says install your latest GPU driver on clean system but windows prevents me from this. it is like complete joke :)

not sure but i think this worked so far.

There is nothing wrong with running a setup of newer drivers over the old one, the only time you need to wipe the drivers is when you are changing from one card model to another. I never uninstalled the old drivers before installing a new version.

Bill Gates has nothing to do with the drivers, in fact he has not really...
The setting you changed is not to prevent it from loading drivers, what it does is it keeps the system from looking online for drivers if they are not built in or if there are newer drivers. The drivers are there already, what it is doing is installing the drivers on the system already.

Windows installing the driver should not keep you from installing a newer driver though, what exactly is the issue you are having, start from the beginning.

seriousgigi

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2015
The setting you changed is not to prevent it from loading drivers, what it does is it keeps the system from looking online for drivers if they are not built in or if there are newer drivers. The drivers are there already, what it is doing is installing the drivers on the system already.

Windows installing the driver should not keep you from installing a newer driver though, what exactly is the issue you are having, start from the beginning.

my issue was radeon was using 25-30% of the CPU most times which is ridiculous. everyone says you have to install GPU driver on clean system etc. this is another ridiculous thing i have ever encountered with windows. why windows uninstall is not working so we have to clean drivers via using either GPU product software or DDU. why we need them, is bill gates an idiot?

anyway the point is i dont want to install new driver over old version because i read lots of articles about not to do this. every article says install your latest GPU driver on clean system but windows prevents me from this. it is like complete joke :)

Unplug your network cable or turn off wi-fi.

we have to clean drivers via using either GPU product software or DDU. why we need them, is bill gates an idiot?

There is nothing wrong with running a setup of newer drivers over the old one, the only time you need to wipe the drivers is when you are changing from one card model to another. I never uninstalled the old drivers before installing a new version.

Bill Gates has nothing to do with the drivers, in fact he has not really been involved much with Microsoft for a while now. It's also the wrong company, AMD is the vendor for the video cards and they provide the drivers.

Solution

seriousgigi

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2015
you didnt get what i meant i guess. AMD has a software for uninstalling your GPU driver because they dont trust windows uninstalling system. it is called AMD cleanup utility and similar to DDU. and like i said they suggest this not me and not just for new cards.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Software like DDU or Radeon Uninstall tool (as well as the "Clean Install" option on Radeon setup) do better work than Windows' built-in unistaller because these tools are specialized to remove every single file remaining from that driver, contrary to Windows removing the drivers and registry only. Won't hurt to use DDU, it prevents any conflict you'd expect while installing the new driver.