[SOLVED] How to prevent "Windows is resuming" when it isn't hibernating?

jhsachs

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
This is a recurring problem, although not a reliably reproducible one: I shut down Windows 10 completely (I do not put it into hiberation), and when I power up, the first thing I see is "Windows is resuming."

My computer has a multi-boot menu; when this happens the menu never appears. To get back to it I must wait for Windows to come all the way up, select Restart, and wait for it to shut down again.

Why is this happening, and how can I make it stop?

jhsachs

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I checked and found that fast startup is enabled.

I'm appalled, for a couple of reasons.

First, because I've been wondering why Windows 10 boots so darned slow. I haven't run side-by-side tests, but I think it takes about twice as long to come up as Windows 7 did. Now I've learned that it performs that way with a special feature to speed up booting enabled.

Second, because the feature is so badly conceived that I'm going to have to disable it. To get to the boot menu from a cold start I have to bring the system all the way up and then restart it? Gimme a break! Microsoft has produced yet another feature that is carefully designed, built, and tested, and fundamentally misconceived.

If I didn't need this machine to be consistent with "state of the market," I'd reinstall Windows 7 right now. As it is, I'll have to buy an SSD to get decent boot times. It's something I've wanted anyway, but now I won't be able to function without it.

TRENDING THREADS