Question How to price old PCs for sale?

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Got a couple of old PCs I'm planning to sell in the UK. Struggling with pricing. Can anyone help?? Is this even the right place to ask?!

PC1 - i7 9700K; Gigabyte Aorus Elite Z390; MSI GTX1070 GPU; 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000mhz (also have 64Gb DDR4 Vengance Pro RGB 3200Mhz which I could use instead); Corsair 750W modular PSU; Corsair AIO (can't remember what one - 2 fan); 1Tb Samsung 970 M2 NVME; Fractal Design Define R6 tempered glass case; Windows 10 Pro

PC2 - i5 3570K; MSI MPower Z77; EVGA GTX670 GPU; 32Gb Corsair DDR3; Corsair 650W PSU; probably a 1Tb SSD, maybe smaller; Fractal Design R4 case; Windows 10 Pro

Neither have been overclocked.

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
It's hard to tell - not seeing many comparable PCs of either spec, as much as anything because I've tended to spec high and use more RAM than usual :/

Pricing parts is obviously easier - parts wise based on rough eBay pricing, PC1 seems to break down to around £870 / $1070ish and PC2 to around £330 / $410ish. Which I guess is where I'd probably price them, but....

(I truly hate selling - always afraid I'll either massively over or underprice and either never sell, or get ripped off. So I always end up holding onto things until they're worthless, which strikes me as stupid!)

USAFRet

Titan
It's hard to tell - not seeing many comparable PCs of either spec, as much as anything because I've tended to spec high and use more RAM than usual :/

Pricing parts is obviously easier - parts wise based on rough eBay pricing, PC1 seems to break down to around £870 / $1070ish and PC2 to around £330 / $410ish. Which I guess is where I'd probably price them, but....

(I truly hate selling - always afraid I'll either massively over or underprice and either never sell, or get ripped off. So I always end up holding onto things until they're worthless, which strikes me as stupid!)
PC2 for $410 is, IMHO, vastly over priced. Then again, you might find some clueless newbie to give you that for it.

$1000 for PC1 is competing with brand new systems, with a full warranty.

Reactions: James Blonde

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Start with @ 2/3rds of whatever a new and somewhat equivalent pc would cost. So figure the 9700k with 1070 is going up against a 13400/F with a 3050.. While some of the parts are very decent, like 32Gb ram, the 970 ssd etc, that's a reason not to come far down in haggle price, not a reason to ask for a higher price. The cases are very good cases, so even firmer on the price, but it can't be too close to a modern pc.

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Brilliant, thanks both!

and this is why I'm asking before doing something stupid! :D

@USAFRet yes, you answered my but.... ;)

£650 / $800 was kind of where my head was for PC1 - and maybe OK though still maybe a bit high? So option to go lower if needed I guess. I guess I could technically chuck in a 22" monitor, gaming mouse and wireless keyboard for that £650...

I'd kind of hoped £300 for PC2, but that might be a bit excessive then - so £280 / $350? with an option to reduce to £250 if I need to...?

Last edited:

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
I try to determine what I would be willing to buy my own used rig for. I love my old PC, still use much during the week. I wouldn't sell because it is just the way I like it and don't want to hassle with the replacement.

Also, no one will pay me what it is worth to me.

If I were to sell my old rig I would want at least $500.

If I were buying my own rig, maybe $200-250.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just a few observations from Atlanta, GA USA on the local market such as CL or Marketplace.

First off, in this market "haggle" isn't a thing (most) buyers do anymore. Almost any item being sold here second hand needs to have a very compelling price to start with. I haven't been asked to haggle price on anything sold on this market short of a car in years.

As referenced, the price needs to be very compelling. Who am I? How reputable am I to Joe Doesn't Know Me? My item is used and has no warranty and details coming from (as above). I find that considering the price you paid for the item at 50% as a starting point. This is if the item is still relevant. If it is quite old and not readily available online you may have to look at individual components and adjust from there.
Reselling as individual items is almost always more profitable and productive with competitive pricing, but in the case of a whole PC of parts you will be left with things no one wants or need to be so low on price as to not being worth the effort.
Almost always, whole systems (unless made of exceedingly popular mainstream parts) will sell slower and for less than parts.

As mentioned above, always try to take stock of your current local market. eBay and such can be looked at by a "sold" filter and other sites can be judged by what pricing you see on items still available after a few days of posting.

Here, I would list the first system ~$400. The second system I would be lucky to be able to sell for $100. You must also keep W11 requirements in mind for anything older than 8th gen Intel or 2xxx Ryzen (AM4).