[SOLVED] How to price systems you build/refurb

jmurmur

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
I'm trying to figure out ways for extra income and am looking into possibly building / refurbing desktops/laptops for resale. How do you guys/gals price stuff you build yourself from ground up. Also, do you sell "as is" or offer like a 30 day guarantee?

Solution
Honestly, this is a dead-end for making extra money. There are so many big players in this game that can get components cheaper than you can and with extensive infrastructure that you have to make money on volume.

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
I buy and sell PCs in my spare time, I only buy something if I'm sure there is a big margin for profit but I don't do it for the money. Even competitively priced I can have a full build sat around for a month or two seemingly with no interest before someone buys it. The opposite is parting it out but most times if I buy a full build I don't get the boxes for the component. Also second hand cases, psus and water coolers are hard to sell and you lose a lot of money on postage for multiple heavy items. Since the fortnite boom last christmas as well it has become harder to sell full build as the market is flooded with garbage PCs that look good to people who don't know any better due to all the rgb.

Reactions: SamirD
There is always a place to make money if you can buy something cheap enough. And sometimes a complete PC isn't cheap enough unless someone doesn't want to part out a build that you can part out and make money that way. It's the same game as it has always been--buy low, sell high. What you have to figure out is how much your time and effort is worth in the end. Good luck!