News How to Program Raspberry Pi Remotely, Using a Browser with VS Code

SonoraTechnical

Reputable
May 28, 2020
This is more or less what you do with Node-RED development on Raspberry PI OS. You open up a browser on your local PC to the code on the Raspberry Pi and design/code away.

coolestcarl

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Hi, I probably write a comment once every 5 years or so. Therefore if I write anything, it usually shows how much it matters to me to write something.

I really appreciate your dedicated Raspberry Pi section. I like the breadth that it covers and does not assume that everyone is some sort of IT demigod, or DevOps expert.

I write code, but I do not have a great depth of knowledge of the underlying hardware or OS. So its nice to have articles like this. Plus the stuff in the Raspberry Pi section is also more generally adaptable to use in the Linux world too.

Thanks and keep up the good work to all the contributors of the Raspberry Pi section.
I chose to comment in this particular article because I was having trouble with aspects of this very subject (i.e. the networking configuration part) and it cleared my brain fog.

God bless.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020
Perfect tutorial !
but...This don't work with old raspbian releases (Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) as it requires a 64bits OS.
And do not expect to get relieved by installing yarn/node directly from repo as it is limited to node v10...
Ensure you use a recent raspberry pi OS and avoid custom images (like the octopi I just tested)

About security concerns, it is a good advice to check a script content before running it directly after download (which | sh command does indeed).
In that case, it is simply a way to have a multi-platform installer with a single entry point.

Thanks for this guide !