How to prohibit the child to play games/surf the internet for less than 2 hours?

Eizenijs

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
Hello people,
is there any programs to allow my child play games or surf on facebook/any else where kids go, for only certain period of time. For example, my child can play minecraft only 2 hours and after that he can't play it till next day? I tried use inbuild windows 8.1 child account but its not what I want, because he need computer for school.
Thank you!

My sister is struggling with this now. There are plenty out there, but they all have their pros and cons and not all are equal. Net Nanny offers time allowance for internet for certain times of day. However, it does not allow game allowances (that I could tell anyway). In fact many of them only allow internet and social media watch, not game time watch. Your best bet is to read each of these reviews and see which one best matches your needs.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2346997,00.asp

With that said, I think schools these days are relying FAR too much on kid's computers and homework as well as in-class work. There needs to be more old school, so to speak, interaction between teachers and children. I've noticed an increase with today's kids who don't seem to interact well with even other kids, let alone adults.

M_sked

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

Don't prohibit your kid at all. Let them be free.

A parent's job is to keep their children out of trouble. That means both physical danger as well as emotional danger. Children are not capable of making good decisions on their own. Letting them run wild almost always results in juvenile delinquency. You are contributing to it if you support children just doing whatever they want.

M_sked

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

Well, if your kid's a bit of a weakling, then prohibit what he goes on. Minecraft is a child-friendly game. The kid won't suffer any emotional or physical 'dangers' if he plays Minecraft for more than 2 hours lmao.

Of course not. For generations parents have limited TV time for their children. Limiting game time is no different. Even if it's benign like Minecraft. Kids need to spend more time outdoors anyway and less on the couch holding a tablet or game controller eating Cheetos. There's an increased Vitamin D deficiency among youth these days according to both US and UK pediatrician studies because they are not getting enough sunlight.

Like I said: it's our responsibility as adults to know what's best for our children. Spending an entire weekend indoors playing games is not healthy for another reason as well: a child's mind is developing and needs external real world stimulus. Having a face buried in tablet game isn't that stimulus. And people wonder why there are so many kids these days with ADHD.

M_sked

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

I am not saying that kids should be allowed to play video games all day, every day. My point is that you shouldn't use an actual restricting software device to monitor your kid. Just do it yourself. Or don't let them play games at all then. If a kid doesn't has an interest in the outside world and likes laying on the couch playing his favourite video game with his mates, then let him. Why restrict 'em? They'll just resent you and argue.