Question How to properly change motherboards

Apr 17, 2019
I am switching out my MSI Z390 gaming plus for an Aorus Z390 pro Wifi. My question is, once the new MOBO is installed should I reinstall the windows OS onto the SSD the OS is currently on? I didn't know if windows would overwrite the data that is currently there so it can install the proper drivers and all that for this particular MOBO or if I had to do it another way like completely erase my SSD and start over completely.

Thank you all for your assistance in this matter!

DMAN999

Prominent
Apr 17, 2019
I would also advise a clean install of Windows 10.
As posted above link your account before you switch the MB and back up your personal files, documents, favorites, etc.
A clean install will remove the old copy of Win 10 and all data from the SSD before installing the new copy.

Reactions: davew1860
Apr 17, 2019
Why are you changing motherboards within the same generation and socket?
the reason I am changing boards is because this was my first build and I was planning on doing some overclocking on my i7-9700k but the MSI Z390 gaming plus has inferior VRMs from what I discovered. I wanted to change boards that had better VRMs for heat dispensation and will give me a bit more headroom, also the MSI board has no rgb addressable headers which I had originally wanted but discovered later the the difference between RGB and ARGB. Lately, the Aorus has onboard wifi. I had to kind of jury rig a wifi setup with a chip i later installed in the board, but have nowhere to mount the Antennae.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS