[SOLVED] How to properly change PSU fan?

Oct 17, 2019
Hello!
In advance im sorry for my bad english, but i wish you could understand me.

So I ran in some problems with my PSU fan. After I heard that the fan is making some strange noises, I immediately checked it and It was spinning fine. I acctually noticed the noises a month ago, but managed to somehow clean the fan and it was working fine till now. Yesterday day I was playing some games, and the pc shuts down randomly. After rebooting I checked the PSU fan, and it was not spinning. Could it be that the PSU just overheated and shut itself down? Btw haven't had any problems with pc randomly shutting down. But after these noises of PSU fan i noticed that the fan died and doesn't spin anymore.

I ordered some new fans to change it as soon as possible, because I use pc a lot and need it. But the fans I ordered have 3 pin conectors, but on my PSU the fan are connected with 2 red/black wires can I just solder red and black new fan wires to the PSU red black wires and just leave the third wire hanging?

What is the step guide to change 3 pin fan to 2 pin red/black wires in my PSU.

Do I need to unplug the PSU from all the components in the pc? like motherboard , hard drives and etc.?

Or I just unplug the power supply cable from wall socket and after dismantled the PSU can just solder the new fan in with all the pc components still connected inside?

Solution
Could it be that the PSU just overheated and shut itself down?
Yes

"can I just solder red and black new fan wires to the PSU red black wires and just leave the third wire hanging? "

If the third wire is yellow.....it's the tach and doesn't need to be connected.

"Do I need to unplug the PSU from all the components in the pc? like motherboard , hard drives and etc.? "

No

"Or I just unplug the power supply cable from wall socket and after dismantled the PSU can just solder the new fan in with all the pc components still connected inside?

Yep.
Yes

"can I just solder red and black new fan wires to the PSU red black wires and just leave the third wire hanging? "

"Do I need to unplug the PSU from all the components in the pc? like motherboard , hard drives and etc.? "

No

"Or I just unplug the power supply cable from wall socket and after dismantled the PSU can just solder the new fan in with all the pc components still connected inside?

Yep.

Reactions: frostyguy
Solution
Oct 17, 2019
Yes

No

Yep.

Thank you! helped a lot :)

TRENDING THREADS