How to properly mount heatsink?

nkarasch

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
I want to get an aftermarket cooler to take my Q6600 past 3.0 but putting the cooler on the first time scared the crap out of me. Is there a good way to get those pins through the board or do you just have to force it? I thought I was about to snap the board in two the way I forced them in there. I know they have an easy release, you just twist them (counterclockwise if I remember correctly) but when I put the new one on will I have to put my board through this same torture or is there an easier way?

I have a P5k-e by the way, and I want the Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme cooler

althius

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I used the TRUE on my build last week, and while I was using a bit of pressure, I never really felt like I was putting my board in Jeopardy. It was very easy to assemble, and the spring-loaded screws made me feel relatively 'safe'.

FYI I Oc'ed yesterday to 3.0 from 2.4 after 8 days with no problems at all. 1.35 Core Voltage, and Core Temps of around 43C under load.

Gave me a 20% boost in my 3DMARK06 Benchmarks, and I am on my way to 3.2Ghz now.

nkarasch

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Did you ever mount the stock HSF? How this one compare?

Yeah Im at 3 on the stock cooler and it has proven perfectly stable but my temps get up to 60-65 under stress testing so I dont wanna go any further without aftermarket cooling.

althius

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Sorry, never had the stock heatsink or fan. The TRUE has been super awesome for me so far. Also I used the Artic Cooling MX-2 thermal compound, rather than what they sent with the HS. I read some good comparisons and it seems like the MX-2 is good for a degree or two at top temps over AS-5.

nkarasch

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Do I have to clean the AS-5 off of my CPU, seriously? I know they recommend it but does it matter. That sounds like added chance of destruction to me.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

^ WFT did that come from?

Yeah it is really important to clean off the surface. As long as you are gentle with CPU and not dropping it and bending pins there is no risk. Use some rubbing alcohol or even some nail polish remover to really clean it off. Don't bother with anhydrous crap if you don't have it, just make sure the surface is dry when you are done. The CPU is below the metal surface so you aren't hurting anything. I prefer the use of q-tips and rubbing alcohol but people's sphincters tighten up when they hear that because they are afraid of cotton deposits. Whatever. The point is...handle the CPU gently and there is no risk.

TRENDING THREADS