[SOLVED] How to properly run 2 different graphics cards with 2 displays

aidanchappuis

Prominent
Jan 6, 2019
I recently bought a new gtx 1660s to replace my gtx960. I have a dual monitor setup, but only use one for gaming, but typically have a browser/video open in the other while gaming. Is there a good way to use the gtx 960 to drive the secondary monitor, to avoid firefox loading the main card? Task manager shows firefox as loading the new card at ~30%.

Solution
All gpu acceleration goes to the gpu connected to the primary monitor unless the software is programmed to be a able to select gpu. Firefox is not one of them and I don't know any browser that is. Any other gpu will just act as a power sucking passthrough for additional monitors. Browser/video takes next to nil which is why even a intel igpu can run multiple 4k videos at once. 30% might be because it's in 2d mode. Once it ramps up to full clocks it's probably like 1%. It should not affect gaming fps so take out the 960.
All gpu acceleration goes to the gpu connected to the primary monitor unless the software is programmed to be a able to select gpu. Firefox is not one of them and I don't know any browser that is. Any other gpu will just act as a power sucking passthrough for additional monitors. Browser/video takes next to nil which is why even a intel igpu can run multiple 4k videos at once. 30% might be because it's in 2d mode. Once it ramps up to full clocks it's probably like 1%. It should not affect gaming fps so take out the 960.

Solution