Question How to properly undervolt my RX 580 for optimal performance?

Apr 19, 2020
Hi, I'm new to undervolting (and PC building in general) - I want to know if I'm doing the best I can to optimize my RX 580 performance. I want to undervolt my graphics card in order to lower temperature/fan noise, and possibly gain some performance improvements if possible (I was getting upwards of 85C when gaming, and the fan noise was too loud for my liking).

I'm using MSI Afterburner (because I liked their OSD), and my current voltage changes are as follows:

State 0: 750
State 1: 769
State 2: 856
State 3: 1022 (-40)
State 4: 1090 (-47)
State 5: 1105 (-88)
State 6: 1110 (-40)
State 7: 1110 (-40)

I also lowered my temp limit to 80C on Afterburner (which also lowered my power limit to -10), and I have Radeon Chill on (the only graphics setting I changed in Radeon Software so far).

I've been using the Heaven benchmark, but I've mainly been playing demanding games to test the GPU's stability. I've lowered it down twice now (around -20 each time), and everything seems stable - I've been playing games on these settings for a few days now.

I guess the two things I need advice on is how to properly monitor my increase/decrease in performance, and if I need to make any other modifications. I'm not sure if I should be touching any other settings on Afterburner, like Core Voltage, Core Clock, Memory Clock, etc. Should I even be touching the temp/power limits? I've heard different things recommended for these settings.

And for evaluating performance, is clock speed something I should mainly be looking at? What are the optimal levels I should be aiming to reach by the time I reach the lowest voltages I can?

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Each gpu is different, just see what voltages run best on yours. I'd also recommend maybe lowering memory speed by 100mhz then lower the memory voltage. That shouldn't heavily impact performance, but it will make a huge difference in temperatures. And DON'T lower the voltage at crazy amounts at a time, I'd recommend watching a tutorial on youtube for undervolting the rx580. And performance improvements depending on how you do it, it could be very minor, very noticeable, the same, or a tad worse, or a noticeable amount worse. Just don't go too crazy with lowering stuff. And use MSI Kombustor, and run the test for at least 15 minutes. If you have time 25 minutes. Just be careful.

Apr 19, 2020
Each gpu is different, just see what voltages run best on yours. I'd also recommend maybe lowering memory speed by 100mhz then lower the memory voltage. That shouldn't heavily impact performance, but it will make a huge difference in temperatures. And DON'T lower the voltage at crazy amounts at a time, I'd recommend watching a tutorial on youtube for undervolting the rx580. And performance improvements depending on how you do it, it could be very minor, very noticeable, the same, or a tad worse, or a noticeable amount worse. Just don't go too crazy with lowering stuff. And use MSI Kombustor, and run the test for at least 15 minutes. If you have time 25 minutes. Just be careful.

Thanks for the response! So lower the memory clock by 100 mhz? It's currently set to 2000 mhz.

A game did crash on me last night - the screen went to black and the PC reset itself. I don't know if it was because of the GPU, but I am feeling a bit weary about making any further changes in Afterburner.

Should things like core voltage, power/temp limit, remain the same in undervolting? Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the response! So lower the memory clock by 100 mhz? It's currently set to 2000 mhz.

A game did crash on me last night - the screen went to black and the PC reset itself. I don't know if it was because of the GPU, but I am feeling a bit weary about making any further changes in Afterburner.

Should things like core voltage, power/temp limit, remain the same in undervolting? Thanks for your help.
You wouldn't wanna mess with power or core voltage. as for temp limit, you could set it to 86c if you want. And if you pc crashes, either lower your clock speeds or up the voltage a tad. and the 100 mhz lower on memory won't lower the performance by much, but it'd allow you to have a lower memory voltage allowing your gpu to stay cooler. And as long as your gpu doesn't go above 86c, you should be good.

Did you figure out your situation?
It's nice you listed the voltages for each performance state, but without knowing what frequencies they correspond to, it's meaningless.
My RX480 does 1425MHz @ ~1160mV.
I prefer using AMD settings, but I can explain whatever settings you need help with.