Question How to protect my main PC against virus spreading through network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2019
basically i do virus testing on my laptop

is there any extra steps i can take to protect my main gaming rig (connected with ethernet) from anything that may spread via network?

also can a rat access another pc through network

USAFRet

Titan

is there any extra steps i can take to protect my main gaming rig (connected with ethernet) from anything that may spread via network?

The laptop is airgapped. Absolutely no connection, ethernet or WiFi, to the rest of the local LAN.
Within that laptop, you build a virtual network of VM's.
That's what you 'test' with.

But, being a virus tester, you already know this.

it would seem much easier to do any malware testing on a VM, be that within HyperV (available on Windows Pro), VMWare Workstation Player, or VirtualBox, ...

Restoring a VM is much easier than nuking and paving a laptop....
There are viruses that can jump across the VM line. There may also be file shares in play that will let a virus escape. A physically isolated environment is the only way to be doing anything like this.

Why on earth are you doing virus testing? If you wish to test how secure your system is:

Shields up! (Firewall hole testing)
Test my AV. (https://www.testmyav.com) These contain signatures of the most common viruses but are inert most of the time.
Theres also the Eicar file test.

Any other information I cannot give you because it can be used by script kiddies who wish to write new viruses and test stealthiness against common anti virus products.

it would seem much easier to do any malware testing on a VM, be that within HyperV (available on Windows Pro), VMWare Workstation Player, or VirtualBox, ...

Restoring a VM is much easier than nuking and paving a laptop....

Unless you have an exploit that is Ring 0. Run a windows VM inside a linux environment is how the real big boys do it. Compromising both is much harder to do because code has to be compatible for both environments and kernel mode APIs.

There also some that will detect the markers of being in a VM, and shut itself down so you can't fully investigate.

True. I forgot about that. Windows VM inside a Linux box is used to secure against reverse hacking the most secure systems. But some viruses will shut down when they see them.

What needs to be done is a before and after registry and binary file compare to detect what actions the virus takes, as well as captured wireshark data on an isolated subnet.

And back to the OP's original question:
"is there any extra steps i can take to protect my main gaming rig (connected with ethernet) from anything that may spread via network? "

Fully airgapped.
No ethernet cable, no WiFi, no connection with any other physical box.

What makes me worry is WHY the OP needs to test live viruses? Use a passive test file that is harmless if you wish to validate your system security. Leave the virus testing to the experts.

That's like saying you "Want to work with Airborne Anthrax for fun."

Reactions: gn842a
Status
Not open for further replies.