Question How to re-lubricate a GPU fan? and what Lubricant do you recommed?

Mar 8, 2020
So I have an XFX RX 570 4 GB that I bought used (Probably was used for mining like pretty much all used GPUs on the market) a month ago, it's been working fine so far, I usually use it at 55% fan speed while gaming which is about 2200 RPM, but today I noticed that one of my fans (the front one to be exact) started hitting the GPU's shroud, It's does a noise that's like hitting iron or plastic constantly, It kinda sounds like a car engine at N gear, To give you an idea of how it sounds like, I will link a sound recording of it at 45% fan speed, It seems louder with the sound recorder though: https://clyp.it/4v310qgh

So it seems like I will have to re-lubricate that GPU fans to get rid of that annoying noise, What method do you guys recommend me to use to re-lubricate the GPU fans? And what specific type do you recommend me to lubricate it (e.g: AB80), I currently have AB-80 Lubricant, will that do that job?

If those fans are like most computer fans, they're not meant to be lubricated. If the GPU is still working you should instead look for a new fan or gpu cooler (as a general advice, I haven't disassembled the stock cooler on that particular gpu card myself).

Mar 8, 2020
If those fans are like most computer fans, they're not meant to be lubricated. If the GPU is still working you should instead look for a new fan or gpu cooler (as a general advice, I haven't disassembled the stock cooler on that particular gpu card myself).
I don't really want to go looking for a new fan as the fans are spinning fine, I just want to get rid of the noise.
Edit: And the GPU fan is rated at 50k hours, and every year is 8787 hours, So if the GPU even operated 24/7 the GPU fans are supposed to last at least 5 years, and this GPU is 2 years old...

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020
If you live in Europa, you should be able to file a complaint against the dealership and you should get a new one (or similar)
I can't, I am in Egypt...
And now the said problem stopped, but I don't know if it will come back, it's pretty inconsistent...
Edit: And I found out that when the GPU is doing the said problem I turn the GPU fans off and then turn them back on and it pretty much solves the problem, but it comes back when I set the GPU to 45% fan speed and I repeat what I did to fix it again, so why?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS