Question How to read HDD from a dead laptop

Jan 23, 2020
I've removed the hard drive from a dead Packard Bell Easynote. It came out easily in a metal caddy. The caddy has a 6 + 7 pin SATA connector. I have a couple of working laptops. What do I need to read the hard disk on a laptop with USB 2 ports?

Jan 23, 2020
Sorry, I need a bit more help. This is what I've taken out of the laptop. It has a SATA connector. I have no idea what to do with it. I was hoping I could just get a cable and connect to the USB port in another laptop. If I get an external case do I need to remove the hard drive from the caddy?

hdd1.JPG

hdd2.JPG

Jan 23, 2020
It's OK. I found a cable online that will connect to the caddy and a laptop USB. Will have to wait until February to get it as the only sellers I can find are in Hong Kong.

Did the laptop have an after market caddie that you put a hard drive where the DVD drive goes. If not your holding the DVD drive in less i'm missing something?

I don't see you mention having a desktop but if you do a laptop hard drive has the same hookup as a desktop drive. If that's an option just hook up old drive as a "D" ...........................if you have a desktop that is.

Jan 23, 2020
I didn't think of using the desktop. I do have one. I have about three hard drives that I'll want to look at so the desktop could be the best way to do it. Thank you.