How to read processor temp?

muellerdillon

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
I'm using Open Hardware Monitor to monitor the temps on my new build which i have overclocked, my temps are safe but i want to know which temps are more accurate, the individual core temperatures or the core package? Or my question really is, which is the more reliable temp to go off of, and does the heat being on in the winter normally cause higher temps due to higher ambient temp?

I'm using an h80i(push-pull) on a i5 4670k

Typically when referring to temps, it's core temps since this is what triggers thermal throttling and shutdown. The package will typically be hotter though.

Everyone I know has room temp colder in the winter and hotter in the summer. I find it odd you would be hotter in the winter.

muellerdillon

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
well the reason being that the house is warmer in the winter is bc the heat is running full blast all day at about 75 degrees Fahrenheit, or about 24-26c or so, then during the summer my A/C is running at a constant of about 72 fahrenheit, so the air in my house is actually cooler during the summer

muellerdillon

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

Also you are correct my core package temp is always the highest, and my single cores never exceed the exact temp of the core package