Question How to recover a lost Windows Storage Spaces Pool

Levi Hen

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
Hi Guys,

So here's the dealio:
Last night I was moving some data around from a stand-alone hdd to my REFS (software) Raid6 array in my (home) server which is just a desktop with a bunch of drives and a raidcontroller in HBA to add a bunch of sata ports.

After I moved the data to the pool I formatted the drive as I wanted to add it to the pool.
When I opened up Storage Spaces afterwards I noticed I had a second pool of 10tb (of which only 30gb was in use).
This is weird as I only had ever made 1 pool that was 8.89TB (excluding resilience) of which 6.19TB was in use.
I clicked on delete this pool and now BOTH pools are gone!! :S
I did not reformat any of the drives that are supposed to be in the (1) pool but they all show up as unallocated and data recovery software only finds parts of the data and video files are mostly unreadable.

I would like to re-mount the disks in the/a new pool if at all possible.
Even recovering half of the data would be a big time-saver.

Anyone got some tips?
Do I just need to create a new storage space and add the disks and everything will be fine? (didnt do this yet in fear of permanently destroying all data on it).

TL;DR: Made a woopsie and threw away my windows storage space pool, can I mount all disks previously in that pool in a new pool and will everything be cool?

my gut feel about your last statement is No. (before you get adventurous.). Now is the time for patience, investigation, testing with spare HDD's to recreate the same conditions. It won't get worse by itself, so let the replies come in.

An experiment to try on other disks is to see if data recovery programs can see the storage pool.

Levi Hen

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
Yeah I have a gut feeling about it as well.
My hardware raid controllers here do actually do that (remove the pool, recreate it and re-add disks and it is fine) but I have no idea if its the same way for storage spaces.
Elsewhere I read that you can take a storage pool to a re-installed windows so that means there would be some way of reimporting or recreating them.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...f-i-need/5f30b59a-e9f1-4610-974a-1c51230730c5