[SOLVED] How to recover contents of filled USB

Blastoise24

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2014
I have an important USB that has been accidentally filled to the brim, leaving it unusable. Plugging in the USB, Windows says I need to format it. Properties shows 0 B on disk, 0 B used, etc...

Is there any method or software I can use to recover the contents?

I have an important USB that has been accidentally filled to the brim, leaving it unusable. Plugging in the USB, Windows says I need to format it. Properties shows 0 B on disk, 0 B used, etc...
If it shows 0 B used/ on disk it's the opposite of being filled up, it shows up as a 0 size disk which is pretty much equivalent to a broken disk.

You can use testdisk which is a free program to scan disks for any kind of data to save on your hard drive, recuva is another free and small tool.
Or just write data recovery software in google and try all of them.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is a failed or corrupted USB drive.

Understand "accidentally" but what happened?

Make, model, size of USB drive?

For the most part if Windows is asked to copy data to a USB drive (or any other drive for that matter) and discovers that there is not enough room available then Windows will pop up an error window of some sort. And not "fill to the brim".

Anything you do could cause permanent loss of data.

Before applying any given fix or recovery process knowing what happened may be helpful.