How to recover data on a external drive after deleting partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

serge2011

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hello,

I have a big issue with a portable drive I bought a while ago. I was using the software fat32formatter on another portable drive but I erased the partition on the hard drive containing all my data. I'd like to know how recover all the information I have on this one. I heard about the program "Recuva" and I downloaded that one on my computer this morning but when I was browse to find the portable drive I can't find anything. I know it's there under disk management but there's no letter assigned and I can't use it. I also tried to highlight that disk in the listing but when I right click I can't find any option to reassign a letter... I'm completely lost and hope you can help me. Thanks. Serge

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

The fact you can see the "partitionless" disk in Disk Mgmt means it recognized by the OS. It has to have a partition to add a File system (NTFS) to make a volume, and drive letters are assigned to Volumes.

Take a look at Easeus Partition Master Home (free) which includes a Partition Recovery Wizard. Hopefully that will help you reinstate the partition information.

serge2011

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

Hi John, Thanks. I used Easeus and I was able to recover all my files, it's just time consuming to transfer everything to another drive when you have a lot of data but it works really good and I would definitely recommend this program to anybody who has similar issues with his/her portable drive.

Serge

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Serge,

Great! Glad it worked out and you have your data back.
There's no worse feeling than to suddenly realize you just "deleted" your important data.
Should be a really good feeling to get it back, & you did it pretty much yourself, with just a little nudge. It's also a learning experience where you now know to double check before committing to a command where there's no "undo". We've all been there, done that, at some point.

BakerCook

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
If you are talking about assigning a drive letter (or path) to a healthy partition then just select :- My computer -> Properties -> Disk Management and then select the partition with right click and go on "Check Drive Letter and Path", after which you can assign or change a drive letter to any healthy drive.
But as you lost your partition then you need a third party data recovery software to recover your deleted partition and data then i will suggest you to go for Kernel for FAT and NTFS recover partition software for the recovery of that specific partition and data on it.
For more details = http://www.recoverpartition.net

harshbansals

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Hello everyone,

I saw the easeus partition recovery method but unfortunately after removing partition, i created a new partition n formatted it.. it was only after that, I realized that I was working on the wrong drive...

Can anything be done now...?
please let me know if anything can be done about it..

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there, and welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Well, the important question is do you have your data saved separately, that could be copied back over to the newly partitioned and reformatted HDD?

Doubt you are going to be able to get much data off the drive, without sending it to an expensive Data Recovery company. However, you might try the Aeseus Data Recovery Wizard which works with Partitions, and has a "Deleted File Recovery Wizard". The Home Edition is freeware, Prof Edition $89.95.

Here is the URL: http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard

There is also a TenorShare Data Recovery Application which will Recover data from HDD's, Flash Drives, floppy disk, CF cards, memory sticks, SD cards, etc. Data recovery from any device, and Win FS FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS. It has a 30 Day Free Trial with the Standard edition $24.95 after that.

Here is the URL for that product: http://www.any-data-recovery.com/purchase/index.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.