How to recover deleted files after destructive recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

zip316

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Hello,I did a destructive recovery on my pc Thursday August 12 2010 . I saved all my folders etc on a external hard drive or so I thought.

After I got the pc cranked back up and hooked the external harddrive back up, I found the MY Documents folder was gone.

Can anyone help, Thanks in advance.

Solution
Might possibly be able to scan the drive with a program like recuva, or a similar app that can scan for deleted files. Maybe you will get lucky and it'll catch something still there.

zip316

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
There is 297 Gb's worth of stuff on the external hd but the My Documents folder isnt there. When I highlighted and drug My Shared folder it took 40 minutes to copy it, but with My Documents it copied it in about 3 minutes. Thanks for your reply

G

Believe me when I tell you you're not going to recover anything. I've tried it myself on customer's computers that formated their hard drive and the chances are slim and none.

zip316

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I had to take it to a local computer repair guy Friday and so far late Friday evening he had recovered 1/4 of the folder.He told me that he will have it all by Tuesday . He said he "goes under windows os and recovers data, he 's pulled up some stuff I had deleted 2 years ago. He also found My Docoments folder on the external harddrive also but he wont bother that unless he cant recover all the stuff from the computer.

It costs a pretty penny though and I had to pay him up front .Thanks for all the replies and help from you guys.

G

I'd like to know what software he's using. Are you sure you did a "destructive recovery"? Something sounds fishy.

zip316

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
What I did was to bring the computer back to the condition it was in when I first got it. On my computer when it first cranks up I start tapping the F-8 key until it shows the system restore screen. When I clicked destuctive it totally wiped out the hard drive and restored it to factory condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.