How to recover or make a (dead) HDD bootable so that I can recover my data?

dakshak1997

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016
Guys can you help getting my HDD on track....From my previous PC I had 2 dead HDDs (since they weren't bootable and also wasn't visibe in BIOS). Later I tried to boot those two HDDs on Linux and one of the HDDs worked (or atleast I got to recover my data but it's still unbootable for Windows). However the 2nd HDD didn't even work on Linux.

Is ther any way of getting the other HDD working or atleast recover the data form it.

The dead HDD (that's not working) is : Hitachi 0F10379 250GB

P.S : Both the HDDs failed at the same time and are dont boot on Windows.

If the HDD spins up you might be able to get the data off of it. If it doesn't spin up you might be able to do the freezer method to get it to start up once, if it does spin up at that point DO NOT SHUT OFF the computer until you have all your data off of it.

cosmoji

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
yeah, though it sounds crazy, the freezer method has been shown to work in the past. put it in the freezer for a few hours, preferably sealed in a moisture proof container or bag. then hook it up and try to boot it. the idea is that while cold, all the components shrink a little bit and that might give you the clearance needed for previously seized parts to move again. and certainly do not stop once you get it moving. move files in small batches, so you dont screw up a whole big transfer when it finally fails, and prioritize the files you find most important as you cant expect it to last forever.

dakshak1997

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016

It does spin when connected but unable to access as when booted to Windows the PC goes to BSOD error and turns off.
Well thanks for the suggestion, will try the freezer method soon. :)

dakshak1997

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016

Thanks for that! Will keep in mind ;)

dakshak1997

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016

Hello!
Finally I've tried the Freezer method to get my drive working, but not much progress.
I've then tried it to boot the drive on Linux (Fedora) but it wasn't available onto it. So I tried Disks Utility that's present in Linux and there my HDD was listed. Then I assigned NTFS filesystem (since wasn't) and also made it Bootable. But when I connected it on Windows 8 it again started showing BSOD error.
On Linux the HDD is now working and can hold new data (still doesn't show my old data but I guess if I can get it working on Windows I can recover it through some utility).

The HDD is running/working but it makes clicking sound sometimes. Does it have to do something with heads?

So pls help me what next should I do to get that HDD working and the data back.

P.S : Since after assigning it to NTFS on Linux, just to try whether it is working I wrote 2 small files onto it. Will that affect my data recovery?

dakshak1997

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016

Hello!
Finally I've tried the Freezer method to get my drive working, but not much progress.
I've then tried it to boot the drive on Linux (Fedora) but it wasn't available onto it. So I tried Disks Utility that's present in Linux and there my HDD was listed. Then I assigned NTFS filesystem (since wasn't) and also made it Bootable. But when I connected it on Windows 8 it again started showing BSOD error.
On Linux the HDD is now working and can hold new data (still doesn't show my old data but I guess if I can get it working on Windows I can recover it through some utility).

The HDD is running/working but it makes clicking sound sometimes. Does it have to do something with heads?

So pls help me what next should I do to get that HDD working and the data back.

P.S : Since after assigning it to NTFS on Linux, just to try whether it is working I wrote 2 small files onto it. Will that affect my data recovery?