[SOLVED] How to reduce ambient noise on condenser mic

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Don't know if there's a better place to put this so move it if necessary.

So I have a USB condenser mic and I have enough ambient noise on my room that it pics up sound enough that there is a bit of white noise.

Now in OBS I can apply a nose suppression filter to clean it up, but that hurts the quality of my voice.

So I am curious if I can diy a sound foam bowl that can cup around my mic and if that would help in any way?

It perhaps another method of sorts.

Any info on how to decrease the ambient pickup on the mic without using a noise suppression filter in OBS will be greatly appreciated

Solution
The white noise is self generated within the mic.
This can not be eliminated by external damping material.
The best choise is to use a high cut filter

You can tune the bias voltage to lowest possible noise level with acceptable sound input level.
- on external mic's that is.

Your basic problem is the choise of microphone, as it is an electret (condenser) microphone, which inherently is noisy in the white noise band.
Their advantage is a very low price with a good performance for speech in communication devices.

You can get them down to less than a dollar single device, with large savings on quantities, from Ebay, Ali etc.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
The white noise is self generated within the mic.
This can not be eliminated by external damping material.
The best choise is to use a high cut filter

You can tune the bias voltage to lowest possible noise level with acceptable sound input level.
- on external mic's that is.

Your basic problem is the choise of microphone, as it is an electret (condenser) microphone, which inherently is noisy in the white noise band.
Their advantage is a very low price with a good performance for speech in communication devices.

You can get them down to less than a dollar single device, with large savings on quantities, from Ebay, Ali etc.

Solution