Question How to reduce bottleneck on i5 7500 and Gigabyte 2080 @1440p

Oct 20, 2019
Hey guys

I guess my question is more related to games and CPU dependancy

So I am planning to play games like Red Dead 2, Gears 5, Division 2, Metro Exodus, GTA5 and CPU demanding like Assasins Creed Origins/Oddysey etc

I also wanna play older games like Assasins Creed 3 and Blag flag

My system is i5 7500 with 16 GB Ram and SSD. I have a 1440 which I overclocked to 75Hz.

It is important to mention that I will never ever be playing online, apart from Division dark zone but thats about it. Not GTA 5, not Gears not any online games.

So My whole purpose to play is single player/solo/story lines. I am upgrading my system and soon getting Gigabyte 2080 OC card and I am aware that I am going to be bottle necked. However since my monitor is overclocked to 75Hz do you think I can still play at good 60-75 Hz on those games at high settings?

I might get 4k monitor in future and maybe I will upgrade to some high end CPU in future but now I dont see a point now

Any suggestions or experience with this?

InvalidError

Titan
Whether you will get CPU-bottlenecked at less than your refresh rate depends on how CPU-intensive each game is and for the games where the CPU is going to bottleneck at significantly less than that, the only real fix (or at least significant improvement) is a 7700/7700k if you want to stick with your current motherboard and RAM.

Reactions: zaman25
Oct 20, 2019
What is your definition of "bottleneck"?
My definition is playing Creed Odysey or GTA5 or Origins etc at absolute Max settings with 4-8xMSAA at 1440p and getting horrible 30-40 fps not because GPU is weak but due to CPU weakness.

I do this with my 1070 at the moment. Im getting my 2080 with hopes that i get more fps so that i can play all on ultra and get 60-70 fps. Not 30-40 that i get now with my 1070

Thanks

InvalidError

Titan
Look at GPU utilization when you have those 30-40fps dips. If your 1070 isn't anywhere near 100% core load, then upgrading the GPU will be of little to no help. A GPU upgrade is no substitute to having a sufficiently powerful CPU and vice-versa. (Though with an under-powered GPU, you do have the option of lowering details to bump performance up to whatever the CPU is capable of in that title. There isn't anywhere near this amount of flexibility on the CPU load side.)

If you are already heavily CPU-bottlenecked, a faster GPU will only slightly improve your frame rates by reducing the amount of time the CPU may be waiting after it.

Oct 20, 2019
Whether you will get CPU-bottlenecked at less than your refresh rate depends on how CPU-intensive each game is and for the games where the CPU is going to bottleneck at significantly less than that, the only real fix (or at least significant improvement) is a 7700/7700k if you want to stick with your current motherboard and RAM.
Great thanks

Is there a good resource on cpu demanding games and cpu in game settings we need to xhange? I know about gta5 populatiin density . Thanks a lot might consider cpu upgrade as u said

Oct 20, 2019

Can you also provide for me a review of 7700 or 7700k so that I can see how this CPU will do better then 7500 i5 in 1440p? I keep on checking the reviews and see very small difference at higher resolutions.

I understand that some people are using 144 monitors which give them higher refresh rates but mine is 75, so I want to know what 7700k is actually gonna do in comparison to my i5 7500

Thank you !

Oct 20, 2019
What do you guys think about i5 8400? I just saw some tests done with this CPU and 2080 and the FPS were quite good on my games. it has 6 cores too and quite affordable for me.

Thanks

Oct 20, 2019
The 8400 would need a new motherboard and will be no faster than a 7700k. The 8600k is only slightly faster than the 7700k. If you are going to upgrade motherboard you might as well look at Ryzen 3600/3700.
Yeah i just saw that. I need to refresh my memory on which CPU my motherboard supports.

Is there a good website that I can refer to ? I have 7500 i5 on Asus
H110M-A/M.2

Thanks

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You'll need a new mobo for 8th gen as said.

I reckon your cpu can handle 60~75fps before maxing out in a lot of those games. Cpu maxing out can cause performance issues and stutters. Get the card, see how it performs first and measure cpu usage vs frame rate and lower if need to reduce cpu load. Higher fps = more cpu frame rendering and depending how busy a game is in other areas in game code can overwhelm even 6 core cpus.

Oct 20, 2019
You'll need a new mobo for 8th gen as said.

I reckon your cpu can handle 60~75fps before maxing out in a lot of those games. Cpu maxing out can cause performance issues and stutters. Get the card, see how it performs first and measure cpu usage vs frame rate and lower if need to reduce cpu load. Higher fps = more cpu frame rendering and depending how busy a game is in other areas in game code can overwhelm even 6 core cpus.

Yeah I will see how it goes. Thanks

InvalidError

Titan
Is there a good resource on cpu demanding games and cpu in game settings we need to xhange? I know about gta5 populatiin density . Thanks a lot might consider cpu upgrade as u said
I never searched for this sort of stuff, I just go by common sense: game options that affect CPU usage are options that directly affect the quantity of stuff that needs to be tracked, animated and drawn. Draw distance would be one of the highest impact settings there when available.

Oct 20, 2019
I just read some reviews on i7 6700. It is very close to i7770 and seems to work great with 2080 Geforce cards. What do you guys think? 7700 is a bit expensive for me and I can get 6700 in New Zealand for $320 NZD which is quite good for a second hand

The I5-7500, at only 4c/4t, might have some minimum FPS issues in many of the newer games which thrive on more than 4 cores and /or 6-12 threads.

Certainly at 1080P or 1440P a hypothetical 2080 GPU paired with the i5-7500 might deliver only half of the minimum framerates (.1% lows) possible vs. a 9700K.

If that minimum frame rate in those games you mentioned is already acceptable to you, then it might still be so with the better GPU but at higher res/quality settings as well, however...

The 6700 vs the 7700 shouldn't be too much of a difference. I haven't looked, but would assume the 7700 will have slightly higher clock speeds over the 6700. There would be some other slight advantage to the 7700 as well, but may have little affect on gaming performance. $350 is still a decent amount of money, and with a little more savings, a new platform may be a better investment than a cpu alone.

Here's some of my experience when I went from 6600k to 7700 non k. You may have similar results as the 7500 and 6600 should perform fairly close.
After a few hours of runtime and some heavy benchmarking/stress testing I feel confident in posting my final results.

The cpu seems to average 4.1ghz, leaving mce on. Slightly higher with xmp enabled, but very similar, 4.15ghz.

Cinebench R15 single - 168, multi - 839. With xmp enabled multi jumps up to 874.

Cinebench R20 multi - 2029. Xmp 2116. I didn't run single, as the cb15 score was so close to the 6600. Didn't really see a point.

Timespy - gfx - 11,194 cpu - 4773 score - 9314.
With xmp and a very slight gpu oc, +100 core and +500 mem. Cpu - 5108 gfx - 12009 score - 9985. I'm sure I could finally break 10k with a few more minor gpu tweaks.

Firestrike - gfx - 27601 com - 7361 phy - 12232 score - 18860.
With xmp and the same gpu oc. Gfx - 29164 com - 7889 phy - 12558 score - 19866. Again 20k probably easily with a few tweaks. (Quick edit. Timespy final score with +125/+1000 is 10195, firestrike score 20245!)

My realbench scores jumped an insane amount, but I didn't record the 6600k in here, so I'll skip it.

Onto some gaming. All setting maxed at 2560x1440, no gpu oc or xmp.

Doom 2016. Cpu usage came down quite a bit averaging in the mid 60s with a peak to @88. Gpu and fps stayed the same. No difference in gameplay as it was already as smooth as possible.

Resident evil 2. Again a late drop in gpu usage. Averaging low 50, with peaks in the mid 80s. Gpu usage stayed the same, but it did pick up a little fps, averaging around 125.

Ghost recon. Cpu usage dropped again, with averages in game of 65. Benchmark showed min 45.7, max 81.8, and an average of 57.5. Gpu and fps stayed the same, but gameplay was a whole other story. So much smoother with no stuttering that I saw.

Both far cry titles saw very similar results, with minor bumps in fps and average cpu usage in the mid 60s.

GTA V saw large swings in cpu usage, with only peaks in the 80s, average were much lower, and a slight fps average bump of 10-15. But gameplay benefited most. Smooth as butter with no stuttering at all.

Battlefield. Similar story here. But usage was staying much higher in the 90s, just the gameplay was sooooo much better. I can actually play now, no more twitch or stutter. Stable fps, with averages in the 80s.

Overall very pleased, especially for free. As stated I didn't see any massive fps increase, but gameplay, oh my the gameplay. Better in every way. Games are now smooth, no more lag or stutter. I never felt my system was holding me back. But after these tests, I can see it was slightly cpu bottlenecked, as much as I dislike the term. The upgrade really opened up the system and let it run so much better.

Keep in mind, I got a cpu out of a recycled pc, so zero cost to me. It was definitely worth it, but I don't know if it was 350 dollars worth it. I also have a z series board, so most likely will see higher clock speeds than you would.

The 2080 is a beast of a gpu, so I think if you're already planning on grabbing one, do it. Then see if you are held back cpu wise. Then sit back and really think if it's time for a platform upgrade or just a cpu upgrade.