how to reduce the amount of RAM used

thunderclaw98

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2014
I have a computer running windows 10 with 2 4 gig ram sticks - and I keep running into the same problem. immediately after startup, my computer is already using more than 3 gigs of ram, if not getting on for 4. now, with the heavy graphic I play with games, this is a problem. is there any way I can decrease the amount of memory that my computer uses without buying more sticks?

Solution
That is normal.
Windows will MOVE data out of system memory if it needs it for a game.

(Windows fills up that memory so things work faster and aren't waiting to load into memory when needed)

You say it's a PROBLEM but are you getting "out of memory" errors?

Don't run web browsers or other demanding programs when also gaming, but again this is normal and should NOT be a problem unless there is some other program eating up too memory when you game.
That is normal.
Windows will MOVE data out of system memory if it needs it for a game.

(Windows fills up that memory so things work faster and aren't waiting to load into memory when needed)

You say it's a PROBLEM but are you getting "out of memory" errors?

Don't run web browsers or other demanding programs when also gaming, but again this is normal and should NOT be a problem unless there is some other program eating up too memory when you game.

Solution
Windows will prefetch programs that you have previously run. It loads this into ram that is not being used on the chance that you will want to run it.
it will make the system seem faster. you can clear the list of preloaded programs Google sysinternals rammap you can download the tool, look for the menu item "empty" to clear the various lists to start clean again.

XaveT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013
If you do the SysInternals route, make sure you download it from Microsoft. The guy that does the updates (Mark Russinovich) works for them, so they have a known clean copy.

TRENDING THREADS