How to reinstall OS without DVD drive?

sixzoseven

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Long story...on why I need to do this...

Nonetheless, today is a terrible day. I need to know what is the best way to reinstall an OS on my SSD without a DVD drive as mine does not seem to be working.

Any help please?

sixzoseven

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

Without using a working OS...
I have a 1.5 TB external hard drive to use.

sixzoseven

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

In that case, let me move on to a relating problem:

I have a WD Black HD and an OCZ Vector 256 GB HD.
Today my computer bluescreened. I proceeded to reboot and the OS would never load from the SSD...it would just hang on a blank screen.

When I try to boot from my WD Black, it manages to get to the actual glowing windows logo saying "windows is starting" (or w/e it says) but it hangs there forever. Waited 15 mins and still was displaying that screen.

However, whenever I remove the OCZ vector, I can successfully boot with my WD HD. Anyone know why this is?

sixzoseven

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

I have had an OS on my SSD and HD for about 3 months now.
All I did when I got my SSD was make it first in boot order over the HD.

sixzoseven

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

DVD drive just started working now after I managed to swap out the SATA cable connecting it to my Motherboard. Just popped in my reinstallation/recovery disk. After windows loads all the files, it just brings me to a completely black screen and does nothing.

quixoticduck

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

Is it possible to do repair from a USB? I've been trying to do one myself (but a restore not a reinstall) and it seems to work and then fails. So is that an option or does it always fail? I know I installed my OS originally from a bootable USB, couldn't OP make one using a friend's computer?

TRENDING THREADS