How to reinstall win 8 on system that won't boot. do not have disk.

joycea

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
I always seem to screw up my laptop. Wether its downloading erroneous
software or deleting unwanted programs. My laptop was orginally installed with win xp. My ex tech downloaded win8. I dont want to go back to him for certain reasons and best buy Wants $300 to reinstall. I dont want to try to wipe out and start over. the installation says I allready have an operating system installed, which I think must be win 8. I am afraid to try dual installation because I dont want to mess up my computer anymore. Since I did not get a win 8 disk from him how do I obtain a disk and find my install #. I would be most appreciative of your help.

USAFRet

Titan
According to the license agreement, whoever installed it is required to give you the activation key and software.

So, you have a Win8 installed, and it is acting up. 2 choices - either fix it, or full reinstall.

Since he did not give you the actual install disk or key, my first assumption would be that it is not a valid, legal install. MSDN or TechNet key, for instance.

I understand not wanting to go back to him for whatever reason. But your options are limited.
I'd suggest just buying your own Win 8 install, and redoing it.