[SOLVED] How to reinstall Win10 on dual boot w/ win7? (separate ssds)

Mookeylama

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
I have a dual boot setup w/ windows 7 and win10, both on separate ssds. I really only use the win7 since all my modded games are on that. Skyrim ect. So I actually have only booted up w/ win10 just like 8 times maybe since 2017. I started 10 up about 6-7 weeks ago and saw there was a ton of updates. So I installed them and everything went well. They installed fine. Control panel showed they installed okay except maybe 1. Iirc 1 may’ve failed. But I started up win10 a few times and it booted fine.

Fast forward 6 weeks and win10 will not boot. It did sorta but w/ lotsa screen flashing and fading to black/ flickering. Had to shut down w/ power button. Started back up and got a screen telling me diagnostics and repairs. Showed lotsa errors on E drive (win10). That ran and seemed to show things fixed. But upon restart I get a blue screen like a win10 troubleshooter, telling me win10 cant start. Tells me it can’t auto fix so I need to reset, start from usb ect.

At this point I think it may be best just to totally reinstall wn10. I have nothing on it cept bit of storage. Think I still have the original disc I bought unless I lost it lol. I’m not too pc savvy and had this built by Microcenter. So I’m thinking to try reinstalling but I’ve never installed an OS and am worried the dual boot will complicate things, even tho win7 & 10 are of separate ssds. Worried about partitions and stuff.

Any advice here would be much appreciated. Anything special I need to watch for because of the dual boot? thanks

Solution
I have a dual boot setup w/ windows 7 and win10, both on separate ssds. I really only use the win7 since all my modded games are on that. Skyrim ect. So I actually have only booted up w/ win10 just like 8 times maybe since 2017. I started 10 up about 6-7 weeks ago and saw there was a ton of updates. So I installed them and everything went well. They installed fine. Control panel showed they installed okay except maybe 1. Iirc 1 may’ve failed. But I started up win10 a few times and it booted fine.

Fast forward 6 weeks and win10 will not boot. It did sorta but w/ lotsa screen flashing and fading to black/ flickering. Had to shut down w/ power button. Started back up and got a screen telling me diagnostics and repairs. Showed lotsa...

Fast forward 6 weeks and win10 will not boot. It did sorta but w/ lotsa screen flashing and fading to black/ flickering. Had to shut down w/ power button. Started back up and got a screen telling me diagnostics and repairs. Showed lotsa errors on E drive (win10). That ran and seemed to show things fixed. But upon restart I get a blue screen like a win10 troubleshooter, telling me win10 cant start. Tells me it can’t auto fix so I need to reset, start from usb ect.

At this point I think it may be best just to totally reinstall wn10. I have nothing on it cept bit of storage. Think I still have the original disc I bought unless I lost it lol. I’m not too pc savvy and had this built by Microcenter. So I’m thinking to try reinstalling but I’ve never installed an OS and am worried the dual boot will complicate things, even tho win7 & 10 are of separate ssds. Worried about partitions and stuff.

Any advice here would be much appreciated. Anything special I need to watch for because of the dual boot? thanks
If you temporarily disable disk with W7 you can reinstall W10 normally without screwing up dual BOOT.
You can also just download W10 ISO from MS, mount the ISO while you are bootet to W10 and run SETUP.EXE from it (Mounting ISO would show as an virtual disk with own letter). That way you get latest and brand new W10 version and you can even choose to keep all the settings and programs as well as your stored files.
After finishing and reconnecting other disk, you could use https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3112-easybcd.html on your primary disk/OS to make true dual BOOT menu to choose OS while starting computer.

Solution

Mookeylama

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
If you temporarily disable disk with W7 you can reinstall W10 normally without screwing up dual BOOT.
You can also just download W10 ISO from MS, mount the ISO while you are bootet to W10 and run SETUP.EXE from it (Mounting ISO would show as an virtual disk with own letter). That way you get latest and brand new W10 version and you can even choose to keep all the settings and programs as well as your stored files.
After finishing and reconnecting other disk, you could use https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3112-easybcd.html on your primary disk/OS to make true dual BOOT menu to choose OS while starting computer.
so sorry for late reply.

so how do i disable the C drive that win7 is on? just thru control panel?
is this tool ok to use...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

looks like i can use that to install win10 straight to it's drive i already had it on.

also i think i did have a True dual boot because i always (and still) get a page on startup (black, white text) that gives me a few seconds to choose either win7 or 10. it's just that choosing 10 now always gives errors that shows a scan code (bad system config info) and makes me restart

so sorry for late reply.

so how do i disable the C drive that win7 is on? just thru control panel?
is this tool ok to use...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

looks like i can use that to install win10 straight to it's drive i already had it on.

also i think i did have a True dual boot because i always (and still) get a page on startup (black, white text) that gives me a few seconds to choose either win7 or 10. it's just that choosing 10 now always gives errors that shows a scan code (bad system config info) and makes me restart
If your BIOS doesn't let you disable separate disks, you can always disconnect it temporarily