How to reinstall Windows 7 with COA sticker

Status
Not open for further replies.

EfoDom

Honorable
Nov 6, 2016
I would like to reinstall Windows 7 on my laptop https://www.asus.com/Laptops/K50IJ/ Intel® Pentium® Dual Core Processor T4200 : 2.20 GHz + 3GB RAM. I don't have the installation dvd. There's only a sticker on the back of the laptop with the product key on it. I was wondering if I could install the Windows 7 ISO files on a flash drive, then boot from it and perform a clean install of windows 7. I'm just worried it won't accept the product key for some reason. Then I'd be screwed. Will it work? Or is there a different method to reinstall windows 7 using the COA sticker without the dvd?

Solution
no when you boot at ASUS screen press F9, recover partition OS will boot up and you can restore to factory your hard drive (meaning everything on ti will be wiped so best backup your personal information like documents etc.) once it is done you will have a new windows installed.

dragget

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

The site I linked requires a product code and will then download the correct version of windows for that code.

EfoDom

Honorable
Nov 6, 2016

It says Windows 7 Home Prem OA

dragget

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

You stated you are using your product key on another computer. You can't activate two machines with the same OEM product code.

EfoDom

Honorable
Nov 6, 2016

I mean that I'm using the laptop right now that I want to reinstall windows on. And I'm using the product key only on this pc.

EfoDom

Honorable
Nov 6, 2016

How do I exactly delete the partitions? Will it delete files on my hard drive or format it?

EfoDom

Honorable
Nov 6, 2016

Thank you very much. Window 7 reinstalled :)

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Also note that on select Lenovo laptops, one has to take a small object to press a recessed pin on the side (kind of like how we reset routers) & this will invoke an automatic reinstall.......provided the reinstall partition (and any other system partitions) has not been touched. Windows 10 upgrades will not break this method.

The OP's reason to need reinstall is yet another stark reminder that we need to perform a full drive backup as soon as we use the computer. In the case of a desktop, it's simple, as long as there's another computer & docking station. Before booting the very first time, remove that drive and perform a full backup image, Macrium Reflect free edition is perfect for this. Keep that backup for as long as the computer is owned.

If a notebook, can also be done, just figure out what hotkey one can boot a bootable backup software with, then connect both the USB drive with bootable WinPE media (Macrium Reflect free does this!) & backup drive. Then boot & toggle the hotkey & select the USB drive with rescue media.

In either case, be sure to create a folder for the backup before booting into the media. Also Macrium makes it simple to perform regular backups by adding the option to the boot loader by clicking 'Other Tasks' & it'll create the files needed for the job. After that, be sure to create a bootable ISO, which can be then burned to CD or using Rufus, make a bootable USB stick.

It's best to have the rescue media than not. Also, to prevent loss of data, it's a good idea o backup often, no less than once per week. Plus have important data onto an external, one can also use cloud space, Google gives 15GB at no charge with free unlimited pictures at a reduced quality (not much different from the original), although original quality counts towards storage limit.

Backups will also prevent the need for recovery, can also save one's hide if system becomes infected. Don't pay the ransom if prompted, restore your last backup performed & be sure to run Malware scans once recovered. This is another reason to keep important files off of the system drive!

Lastly, create your system's rescue media while the computer is still new, usually this will require a 16GB USB Flash drive, the 2.0 versions are best for this task. Some may even provide the DVD option, although this is slower, DVD's will retain software quality for a lot longer than USB drives, which over time, becomes prone to 'software rot'

In any case, the more one does to protect themselves from loss of recovery, the better.:)

Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.