[SOLVED] how to remove bad sector from hdd

Ajmubin

Commendable
Jun 4, 2019
Failure Predicted - Attribute: 5 Reallocated Sectors Count, Count of sectors moved to the spare area. Indicate problem with the disk surface or the read/write heads.
There are 2004 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
Based on the number of remapping operations, the health of the disk was decreased in different steps.
Replace hard disk immediately.
NOTE; I am using ssd 240gb for windows and the problem is in my secondry hdd

Solution
You have to run the read write surface test on the disk.
If they are real bad sectors you can not fix them but often sectors get flagged as bad because of the OS freezing or messing up somehow and those could be reclaimed.
Other than that the surface test will show you where the bad sectors are so you could re partition the disk and leave out the area where they are,if they are bunched together.

Yeah new disk is always a good idea if you can afford one.
If they are real bad sectors you can not fix them but often sectors get flagged as bad because of the OS freezing or messing up somehow and those could be reclaimed.
Other than that the surface test will show you where the bad sectors are so you could re partition the disk and leave out the area where they are,if they are bunched together.

Reactions: Ajmubin
Solution

Ajmubin

Commendable
Jun 4, 2019

thanks for your time
i did re partition the disk but no change its still same. and yea i already got a new hdd card. just wanted to know that if there is any way i can fix the old one.

Ajmubin

Commendable
Jun 4, 2019
Any "fix" you apply to this situation is just temporary and the problem will progressively get worse with time, sometimes even within hours or days. Get a new drive immediately and backup whatever you can from the old one while you still have the chance.
thanks for your time.
got a new drive done , also bought a ssd .just wanted to know that if there in any solution so that i can fix my old hdd. so no way to fix it you are saying right?

Trash heap/scrap...

If any sensitive personal/financial data on the drive in question, you should try to sanitize the drive first, which can be done from the command line with a single pass overwrite. (wasting time with multiple passes is unnecessary)

Run CMD line as admin, and, at prompt:

C:\WIndows\System32>Format E: /P:1

(my example uses drive E:, but
naturally, your desired drive could be D, E, F, etc...)

(It might ask you to enter/confirm about to be formatted current volume's name, which for mine was merely 'New Volume')

Based on the current speed/progress of my own 1 TB drive's overwrite format, count on at least a full hour or two for a full overwrite of 1 TB...

EDIT: based on how long it's taking to do my own 1 TB drive, I'd alot 2-3 hours for 1 TB, single pass; as the drive is now failing anyway, it might not work, possibly erroring out, but,...just a few whacks with a hammer will solve it just as well, or, punch a hole thru the platters with a stout spike or nail...)

Last edited:

Ajmubin

Commendable
Jun 4, 2019
Trash heap/scrap...

If any sensitive personal/financial data on the drive in question, you should try to sanitize the drive first, which can be done from the command line with a single pass overwrite. (wasting time with multiple passes is unnecessary)

(It might ask you to enter/confirm about to be formatted current volume's name, which for mine was merely 'New Volume')

Based on the current speed/progress of my own 1 TB drive's overwrite format, count on at least a full hour or two for a full overwrite of 1 TB...
thank you for your time.
got it i will try that and see what happens

Ajmubin

Commendable
Jun 4, 2019
Trash heap/scrap...

EDIT: based on how long it's taking to do my own 1 TB drive, I'd alot 2-3 hours for 1 TB, single pass; as the drive is now failing anyway, it might not work, possibly erroring out, but,...just a few whacks with a hammer will solve it just as well, or, punch a hole thru the platters with a stout spike or nail...)
its not about sensitive personal/financial data on the drive. its about fixing bad sectors ..
overwriting the drive with zeros is it really work?

TRENDING THREADS