[SOLVED] How To Remove CD Drive Comparment Where The CD Drive Goes

Mar 2, 2019
I want to know if I can remove the thing that holds the cd drive inside my pc case I have a mid tower rosewill case it uses some strange screws which I have never seen to hold the metal thingy

Solution
If they look like those in the pic I provided, then they are rivets. They are aluminum, which is a relatively soft metal. The only practical way to remove them is to drill the head. Choose a bit that is slightly smaller than the size of the head. You just have to drill until the head starts spinning - that is how you know it is enough. The parts should come apart, possibly with a moderate amount of force. You can extract the back end of the rivet with pliers if it doesn’t fall out on its own.
Most likely rivets if it is not designed to be removable (see below). You can drill the head off, but you must be careful to ensure metal bits don’t get all over the circuit boards inside. They can cause short circuits and damage your components.

FPVVK4MGKJF7OKO.SMALL.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019
Most likely rivets if it is not designed to be removable (see below). You can drill the head off, but you must be careful to ensure metal bits don’t get all over the circuit boards inside. They can cause short circuits and damage your components.

FPVVK4MGKJF7OKO.SMALL.jpg
Is it difficult to drill them off? Would they sell a screwdriver of some sort by any chance?

If they look like those in the pic I provided, then they are rivets. They are aluminum, which is a relatively soft metal. The only practical way to remove them is to drill the head. Choose a bit that is slightly smaller than the size of the head. You just have to drill until the head starts spinning - that is how you know it is enough. The parts should come apart, possibly with a moderate amount of force. You can extract the back end of the rivet with pliers if it doesn’t fall out on its own.

Reactions: WildCard999
Solution
Mar 2, 2019
Thank you for your advice last night I tried with drill and was able to get it off

TRENDING THREADS