Question how to remove files from computer, hdd broke

May 3, 2019
I have files taunting me on my computer that were installed onto one of my drives. this drive stopped working, and I can't uninstall them anymore. does anyone have a solution?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Is the drive in a condition in which it can be read at all? In that case, you can use software recovery tools by companies like EaseUS and Recuva.

If it can't be physically read, the possible solution becomes far more expensive. It means a professional data recovery firm, that uses a specialized lab and equipment designed for this purpose and can easily run you over $1000 (with no guarantee of success).

The only time to dependably save data is before you lose it. A regular backup plan is a basic part of responsible PC ownership, no different than changing the air filter in your furnace or the oil in your car.

I have files taunting me on my computer that were installed onto one of my drives. this drive stopped working, and I can't uninstall them anymore. does anyone have a solution?

You don't install or uninstall files, that is for programs. Are you saying you had programs installed on that second drive and now you can't run an uninstall? Few ways to do this, replace the drive and install the program again on the same disk letter and folder as before, then uninstall that. You can delete some registry keys to clear the uninstall info and listing from Programs. Or simply ignore things till you do a clean Windows setup at some point.

Reactions: TJ Hooker