[SOLVED] How to remove heatsink from NVMe SSD? Viper Patriot VPN 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

goaskalice00

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right thread, but hopefully ya'll can help me out.

I recently purchased a Viper Patriot VPN100 NVMe SSD drive for my mini-itx build.

Problem is, my m.2 slot is on the back of my board, and the Viper SSD has a huge heatsink attached to it. I cannot mount my motherboard with this thing on the back, as the heatsink is far too tall (roughly double the height of my standoffs).

This SSD appears to be precisely what I need for the price. At $130, I wasn't able to find a 1TB capacity NVMe drive of the same speed and quality.

Outside of upgrading my motherboard (which I will do a few months from now), my only option seems to be to remove the SSD's heatsink. I wasn't able to find any tutorials about how to do this online, although I did find one for Viper RAM heatsinks. Basically the guy just warmed up the RAM with a hair-dryer, and the heatsink was easily removed once the adhesive was softened.

TL,DR: I need to remove the heatsink from this SSD https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/patriot-viper-vpn100-nvme-ssd,6116.html

The warranty sticker is on the other side of the stick, and I've found no info about potentially voiding the warranty. Is my best bet to take a hair-dryer to it to soften the adhesive? Would this seriously mess up the SSD, or should it be fine?

I'd like to reapply the heatsink once I've upgraded to a board that has m.2 slots on the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.