[SOLVED] How to remove "optional Updates" that I don't want

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
W10 Updates continues to find optional updates that I don't want. For example, I always manually update my video driver (AMD) when a new one is out. But WU will eventually find an older driver to offer me as an "optional Update". Another example is a problematic WD file that causes problems for me. But it too shows up in WU as an "Optional Update" . Can I somehow turn off these unwanted optional updates from showing up in Windows Update? I always have to check it out even tho I know it's going to be those same two updates I don't want. If I don't check out the optional updates, I might miss something I want/need. Thank you for looking at my post.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
You could try this;
though that just means all driver updates are going to go dark, not just optional updates.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I don't want to lose all the rest. Just the bad ones. Besides, I don't appear to have gpedit.msc anyway.

Odd. You'd think MS would let the end user hide unwanted or problematic optional updates, wouldn't you? Especially the graphic driver updates... since the updates MS offers are not current anyway.

They just sit there urging one to click on it because there might be something needed among the unwanted. After awhile, I have to stop and think... "was that one I didn't want for some reason, or an important one/"

Reactions: Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
Not really. I myself had to abandon my A10-6800K build since every couple of updates the OS would go sideways, leave my processor usage go to near 50% which meant my fans were running at higher RPM. A reinstall would solve that but with APU drivers, I just got tired of having to do that.

TRENDING THREADS