[SOLVED] How to remove or re-install applications on PC upgraded from Win7 to Win10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodcycl

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I have a PC that has had Win7 on it for years. I in-place upgraded to Win10. I was unable to use the first easiest option of keeping all data and apps in place (due to known Realtek Bluetooth compatibility issue). I had to choose to keep data but all apps would need to be re-installed. The Win10 install went well. All data is intact as expected. However, none of my previously installed apps show as being a installed app now. But, all the app's are still on the hard drive and unusable.

How do I:

1. Remove or uninstall the app's data "cleanly" or as cleanly as possible from the PC?
  2. Use the previously installed apps without re-installing ** OR ** re-install over top of existing app data?

I'd now like to clean-up all this data to free up HDD space and also so my wife can use the computer as her own and install her own software where applicable.

I tried googling this question without much success.

Many thanks for any help!

Brian

Solution
Your 1 and 2 will not be optimal, if they work at all.
An in place upgrade is great, if it actually does ALL of it.
Since yours could not include applications, your bet wway forward is a new clean install of the OS, and then all your applications.

Save your personal data to elsewhere first, and then do a full wipe and reinstall on your drive.

Trying to "fix" this will be suboptimal. There is a lot of gunk left over, that did not get properly transferred to the new Win 10.

That's what I would do, anyway.

USAFRet

Titan
Your 1 and 2 will not be optimal, if they work at all.
An in place upgrade is great, if it actually does ALL of it.
Since yours could not include applications, your bet wway forward is a new clean install of the OS, and then all your applications.

Save your personal data to elsewhere first, and then do a full wipe and reinstall on your drive.

Trying to "fix" this will be suboptimal. There is a lot of gunk left over, that did not get properly transferred to the new Win 10.

That's what I would do, anyway.

Solution
All apps will have to be reinstalled before you can use them again. There is no "Easy" button here. You chose to reinstall Windows without choosing to retain the apps. That's exactly what that option does. If you don't want the directories hanging around then simply delete them.

USAFRet

Titan
"so my wife can use the computer as her own and install her own software where applicable. "

Start over with a full wipe and reinstall of Win 10.
Don't try to "fix" this.

Status
Not open for further replies.