Question How to remove Peta Ransomware - virus?

Aug 27, 2019
peta-ransomware.png

How to remove this virus..easy method?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
This is not a virus, it is ransomware in the STOP family of ransomware.

It appears to be possible to decrypt this, as a web search on .peta ransomware returns many results from reputable sources. See the results from:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=.peta+ransomware

NOTE WELL: .peta and Petya are NOT the same thing. Only look at information either for .peta or the STOP family of ransomware.

Aug 27, 2019

It appears to be possible to decrypt this, as a web search on .peta ransomware returns many results from reputable sources. See the results from:

NOTE WELL: .peta and Petya are NOT the same thing. Only look at information either for .peta or the STOP family of ransomware.

Is it recover my photos and videos

if you were fortunate to be hit with the 1 out of 1500 ransomware variants that have been taken down and/or decryption instructions given, you might be successful. (WIthout Mr. Britec knowing the exact sample/variant you have been stricken by, it would be premature to tell you 'all will go perfectly' on getting your files decrypted)

Follow the instructions from the links previously given. (If so fortunate to get your data back, you dodged a serious proverbial bullet. If you have important/valuable files, you'll want periodic offline (i.e., not attached to computer, preventing their infection) backups as well. It's a painful lesson hopefully dodged.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
it would be premature to tell you 'all will go perfectly' on getting your files decrypted)

And it would be rude to put words in my mouth.

Whether any given variant/subvariant in a ransomware family has a successful decryption method is a crap shoot. When it comes to ransomware I personally prefer having the direct guidance of those who work this sort of stuff on a regular basis. Thus, I often recommend using the Ransomware Help & Tech Support forum at BleepingComputer.com, as that's all they focus on there, and they're good.

And you'll get no argument from me regarding backups. Taking full system image backups along with separate user data backups on a regular, cyclic basis is the only thing that comes as close as possible as a sure guarantee against ransomware and many other system destroying situations. Of course, you want to keep your backup drive disconnected except when taking a backup or doing a restore. If it is connected and active when ransomware hits, it will be encrypted, too.