Question How to remove screw from laptop?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, laptop screws aren't exactly robust. If you can get enough grip with tools you may be able to snap the head off. One flathead screwdriver driven under the screw head, and another as leverage to try popping it off.

Screw/bolt extractor set. Can require drilling if there isn't enough material to grip.

Last resort is to drill it out completely. (You would want to build little walls out of masking tape to catch metal shavings)

Reactions: mikehende

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If I should use a file it will damage the casing but I guess I will have no choice.

Would any of these extractors work please?

https://www.amazon.com/Damaged-Scre...ocphy=9004416&hvtargid=pla-1661048797602&th=1

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-S...7UxNefqQUW9ZZ8HJ9GEaAgKzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I am thinking this might not work for such a small screw? If so, how can I drill it out completely please?

Those are rather large tools, you would need smaller ones for a typical laptop screw.

With a drill. You are basically just removing the head of the screw from the shaft by cutting through it. Drill just needs to be about the same size as the screw hole. You do not drill through completely, you stop when the head of the screw comes loose.

kanewolf

Titan

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
Those are rather large tools, you would need smaller ones for a typical laptop screw.

With a drill. You are basically just removing the head of the screw from the shaft by cutting through it. Drill just needs to be about the same size as the screw hole. You do not drill through completely, you stop when the head of the screw comes loose.

Sorry I am not understanding, how will you get the rest of the screw out if the head is removed please?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've found one of the easier things to do at that point is to just take my finger, put it on top of the remains of the screw, and twist. Generally works. The pressure of the head was what was keeping it in place.

Unless it was cross threaded, in which case you might consider alternative methods. You can superglue a shaft to the screw head and then turn that with larger tools.

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
I got it out guys! I have a jewelers screwdrivers set here and one of the tiny flat heads ones worked to fit into the screw head and allowed me to turn.

For any future purposes with a similar situation, I am thinking best method would be to glue a shaft unto the screw head since the screw head is inside the casing, not above it. Reason being, the screw head was not exposed then breaking it would mean I would still have the issue of removing the screw tread itself which would be lower down the casing hole so no way to grip it?

Or what would one do in such a situation?

First thing to try is to use an appropriate sized screwdriver(likely#0),
Press down really hard and try to unscrew.
Failing that, the kit in the first link includes a #0 extractor, the second link starts a #1 size. These are bits to fit into a electric drill. Possibly they would fit into a manual screwdriver like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015SBILG/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=9807251f475fa48db066e24ba534656c&content-id=amzn1.sym.53aae2ac-0129-49a5-9c09-6530a9e11786:amzn1.sym.53aae2ac-0129-49a5-9c09-6530a9e11786&hsa_cr_id=7961775520701&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=c1cf5b58-3f61-4165-922c-957eb8723255&pd_rd_w=KlYSo&pd_rd_wg=Twaru&qid=1655130868&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi4d_asin_0_title&sr=1-1-a094db1c-5033-42c6-82a2-587d01f975e8
For this kind of work, I think you want the more delicate control of a manual device.