News How to Remove Windows 10's Annoying Search Highlights Icons

jimbo007

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Better to get rid of Microsoft's mediocre search altogether. Just use the free and omnipotent "Everything" (from voidtools). Immediate and lightweight indexing and then instant searches across the PC and even local network. So much more powerful, extensible and fast.

LastStanding

Prominent
May 5, 2022
Ha-ha! I find it weird that some users would get annoyed by just the very simple things. Maybe it is just me, though.
¯\( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
Ha-ha! I find it weird that some users would get annoyed by just the very simple things. Maybe it is just me, though.
¯\( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I am one of those that got annoyed with that little picture in the search box. It's a minor thing to find annoying, but I got more and more annoyed with it as time went on. I actually figured out how to get rid of it two weeks ago but it's nice to see the method published..

Reactions: LastStanding

LastStanding

Prominent
May 5, 2022
I am one of those that got annoyed with that little picture in the search box

Bahahaha! Seriously?! I ain't fking with you, dude! Bahahaha!

It's a minor thing to find annoying, but I got more and more annoyed with it as time went on

Bahahaha!

Thanks for the laughs, brotha! Especially in these times. 👍

That is hideous. They undoubtedly assigned a large team and most of their Windows 11 development budget to redesign the OS to "look nicer" only for someone to decide to plaster some random emojis on-screen to link you to random content that you are probably not even interested in.

Not that I would have the search bar visible anyway, since it serves no real purpose in the taskbar.

3ogdy

Distinguished
Coming up next : How to refresh the icons on your desktop.
Open up a context menu and click an option.

No, seriously, it's good to know that people will at least be able to do what's described here.

I just think it would take people less time tinkering with the context menu and disabling the option than it would take them looking for a solution in the Internet.

Friesiansam

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
Taken a long time to tell people how to reduce the search box! I reduced it to just a small button in August 2015, shortly after going for the free upgrade from Windows 7.