How to remove write protection from sandisk pen drive

Go from Start to Run and into the Open box, type regedit then press Enter.

From the File menu, select Export then note the name and location of the backup you're about to make in case anything goes wrong. This is extremely important before altering your Registry.

That done, then navigate through the hives to this key:-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

Double click on StorageDevicePolicies and then on Write Protect then change the Value data from 0 (zero) to 1 (one). The File menu then Exit gets you out.

If the StorageDevicePolicies key doesn't exist, you will need to create it, then create Write Protect and proceed as above. Post back if you need to know how to do that.

I believe the Sandisk comes formatted Fat32, meaning you can only add 4GB, unless you formatted it to NTFS. And the first time the device is removed from the system, that files structure is locked in. Registry edit and other fixes will not work, IMO

allen_dsouza

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

Hey, thanks for the info. But StorageDevicePolicies doesn't exist and I guess it needs to be created. Can you please let me know the steps how to create it. Thanks much in advance!!

kplsaini22

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

kplsaini22

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

My USB Flash device is write protected

How to remove a write protection from your USB memory Stick if there is no Write protection ON or OFF button or tab:

1. Shutdown your computer or laptop
2. Insert USB Memory Stick into your laptop or Computer
3. Turn on computer and then immediately start pressing (F8) key then Advanced Boot Options screen will come up
4. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt
5. After loading files if your USB Memory Stick drive letter is (G) for example then write as
6. C:\windows\system32>G: and press enter
7. G:\>format G: and press enter
8. If ask you (Y/N) then press (Y) and press enter
9. Now a full format will start which remove write protection from USB Memory Stick.

Always use the Safely Remove Hardware option when taking your flash drive out of the USB port.This will help prevent data loss and corruption of your flash drive.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272402-32-flash-drive