How to repair 444002-001 motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizahenge

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
When power button pushed lights on keypad light for 2 seconds then go off. No HD noise, fan, display, nothing. How can I repair the motherboard?

Solution
The board is probably dead. You can either replace it or attempt a reflow.

The easiest way to reflow is to take all the parts off the board you can (including stickers and plastic) and stick it in the oven at 385F for 10 minutes. Let it cool for 30 minutes or so, then see if it boots up.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
What makes you so sure it's the motherboard? It could very well be the power supply. If your post wasn't so generic, we'd be able to help you out. We need to know what kind of system you have (444002-001 isn't a motherboard, according to Google).

gizahenge

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

444002-001 is the motherboard used in HP dv9410us (PN# ga355ua
) notebook that I have. The power supply and battery are OK, I checked both with voltmeter. Also the power plug lights up. The only thing that happens when the power button is depressed are all the lights on top of the keypad light up for appox 2 seconds then go off. Thats it. I have heard that maybe the video chip is at fault?
Thanks, GIZAHENGE

The board is probably dead. You can either replace it or attempt a reflow.

The easiest way to reflow is to take all the parts off the board you can (including stickers and plastic) and stick it in the oven at 385F for 10 minutes. Let it cool for 30 minutes or so, then see if it boots up.

Solution

gizahenge

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Thanks for all the good answers. I have also heard that the Video chip can possibly be heated with a heat gun in an effort to reflow the connections. I guess my question at this point would be whether I have a shorted connection or a defective video chip which would draw too much current and shut down the computer. A non-connection could also be the culprit. It may make more sense to send my motherboard out for repair where it can be checked to be fixed for sure. It is somewhat of an ordeal to take the computer apart several times. I believe the repair would cost about $150. Not a bad deal if it holds up. Thanks again and any other ideas will be helpful.

xf1ber

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
You could always consider getting a new 444002-001 Motherboard at a low price. The prices are really coming down and it is almost worth the couple extra bucks to replace it and not hassle with repairing. :pt1cable:

RoverDun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

Sounds like I've got a dead Motherboard, can't do the oven trick (beyond me), so where can one find a capable repair person? Thanks!

jeff3015

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
well i fix all types motherboards rebuild power supplys on them bypass video circuits and install above board video etc.. well lets see been in electronics for 29 yrs are so

Status
Not open for further replies.