how to repair a external hard drive that has been dropped ?

Mr JK

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Hi
I have a Hitachi external hdd and it dropped 2 times. after first time it work but after the second time the computer didn't detect it anymore and it makes a noise like tik tak or clicking. i don't want to lose my data. It's 320 GB and it's model is "HDT725032VLA360" I have done everything with my computer but i don't think it's from the computer. Can i do something or i have to take it to someone professional ?

Solution
I don't mean to be cruel but the first time you dropped it you said to yourself "I hope its not broken; I have important data on there!" That was your clue to always have a backup copy or two of important data.

I'm sorry you lost your files and have to go buy another hard drive to add to your pain.

At this point you have nothing to lose. Buy another drive to copy data too and open your dropped drive up to see if you can figure out why its clicking and maybe fix it. (at which pont you would immediately gt your files off of it)!. And I do mean open up the dropped harddrive that will be found inside the external enclosure.

One user here opened his and found that one of the heads had jumped onto the wrong side of a stop and simply...

MrJohnnyLy

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
have you tried connecting the external hard drive to a different computer/laptop and used a different USB cord? it's possible that the USB cord is damaged causing it to not get detected by your computer.

Dropping a hard drive is bad, as you have found out.
Not having a backup for valued files is bad too.

If the data is priceless, there are data recovery companies that will likely be able to recover your files.
But... they are VERY expensive.

Mr JK

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Yes and no, i tested it with more than 3 computer but not with another USB cord. But the hdd make a tik tak or clicking noise (more like a tik tak)

Mr JK

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

I have ask it from some computer store and he said it will be more than 400 box !!!

MrJohnnyLy

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

abnormal clicking sounds from your hard drive is not a good sign. It's possible the spindle may be damaged and like everyone said, it'll be extremely expensive. You could try opening up your hard drive and mounting it externally via another external enclosure. Or directly connect it to your computer internally using the SATA ports to see if you can retrieve data off that.

popatim

Titan
I don't mean to be cruel but the first time you dropped it you said to yourself "I hope its not broken; I have important data on there!" That was your clue to always have a backup copy or two of important data.

I'm sorry you lost your files and have to go buy another hard drive to add to your pain.

At this point you have nothing to lose. Buy another drive to copy data too and open your dropped drive up to see if you can figure out why its clicking and maybe fix it. (at which pont you would immediately gt your files off of it)!. And I do mean open up the dropped harddrive that will be found inside the external enclosure.

One user here opened his and found that one of the heads had jumped onto the wrong side of a stop and simply moving the head backed allowed him to recover all his data. This may not be what happened to you but If you cant afford to send the drive out then you've got nothing to lose by opening it up and having a look.

edit - once you open a drive its certain to fail even the smallest spec of dust can cause immense damage. Dont expect to use it if you manage to fix it. get your data off is the important thing so be ready.

Solution

Ophillion7

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
I dropped a 500GB hard drive and had the same problem. Ominous ticking sound, computer unable to locate drive. After posting on forums similar to this one and receiving 'useful' advice such as 'Back up your drive next time' or 'Don't drop it in the first place' I looked around for some data recovery software.

Luckily there is lots out there.

I ended up using Easeus http://www.easeus.com/ The wizard edition is about $70- Worked like a dream. All files completely restored in around 8 hours.

It will all hinge on how badly damaged the drive is but your files could be fully recoverable. You'll have upgrade from the trial to the paid edition to recover the files. But under $100 is fairly reasonable if they're that important.

lifeguarddr

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
clicking Noise means your drive have hardware problem dont power Drive again best visit any Data Recovery Professional they can do it for basic Price if Damage is not severe...

http://lifeguarddatarecovery.com/data-recovery-hard-drive-main-parts/