HOW TO REPAIR A MOTHERBOARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

king_solomon

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
i got lot of dead motherboards from all vendors ASUS, Gigabyte, A-OPNE and MSI.... all exceed warranty period
Sadly most of them power on but do not give any sign of life.. no beeps .. nothing..
I do repair myself boards, badcaps bad MOSFETS..
But WHAT the hack I’m going to do for a something power on but dost not processing. Hmm I’m in Sri LANKA.. sometimes good board coast here lot and we cannot afford it. I got lot of boards dead..
IS THERE ANY ONE know what are may be the problems for such errors.. anyone have a text guide .. or know a place find a guide..
I have a SMD rework station (cheap Chinese one) but it can do..
I repair Graphics cards, most which give funny colors and patterns on display
I repair RAM moduls.. had disk boards.. .
But I canot figure out why mobo power on and does not give beeps.
Funny thing is they work now then shut down, then power on . they power on, but no beeps.
@#!HAhhhhhhh
HELP!! PLZ!!
SOS

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
hey, i have a 754 board that does this. At least in my case, blown cap, but the bottom was blown not the top. it was caused by a psu dying and not producing the right voltage before its death.

With caps, especially modern ones, if somthing does blow its usually pretty hard to tell thanks to coloured boards and solid capacitors etc, not like the old days where your cap would run over your board lol..

Also, make sure you test the boards with a seperate gpu etc incase onboard is dead.

But im sure you already know that, good luck.

axcel2001

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
for those who want there motherboard to be fix you can send it to me and i can repair it. ym me "NO FIX NO PAY POLICY"

by the way im from philippines :)

ajaxsurya

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
happened same to me 4 days ago my motherboard turned on but with no beeps i thought that the smps was dead or not supplying proper voltages i replaced it but the same happened then only yesterday i replaced my cmos battery to find out that the mobo worked fine
so in my case the prob was of cmos battery but i ended up spending Rs 900 on new psu

axcel2001

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
i think cmos battery dont have anything to do with ur case.. im working with board for 8 year even without cmos battery your board will work.. unless your board has dirt that may coz poor contact (memory, video card, etc) sorry for my english im not to good... im filipino

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
it depends whats wrong with it, if the caps have poped than not really as all the stuff insided would have killed the board anyway. but if its just not posting, it might be the BIOS and proeply could be saved as you can get these BIOS recovery things (need teh right BIOS)

I too have a collection of dead boards, all seem to be killed by BIOS by the looks of them no caps have poped or anything just dead:p

G

Hi king_solomon.
I have a lot ofram death, video agp and pci express death...
can you contact me by email?
or by PM
thank you in advance

compdude61

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I also have a mATX Foxconn 775 board out of a HP Pavilion A6437C desktop which has no mouse,keyboard,sound,video or usb functions. Tried resetting the bios cmos. The 3 top lites on the keyboard lite up for a split second & then go out. The power reset button on top turns on & stays lit blue & the psu lite comes on & stays lit. Tried another new psu & it did not fix it. The Sata Hatachi Deskstar 500 gb with W/Vista Home Premium 64 bit hdd spins up fine. The cpu seems to be working fine also. Replaced it with another cpu with the same specs to test. The cpu hsf spins up fast for a split second & then slows down but never stops spinning. The LiteScribe DVD/RW drive opens & closes at my command & the lite flickers rapidly like its trying to read. This board is very clean & was manufactured in 5/2008. Tried another programmed Bios chip & it did not help. It is very hard to find one of these with the same specs. So you see, I would love to try to repair this board myself or send it off for testing before purchasing another for now. It would not be right to throw this board in the trash. Thanks! David

Upendra09

Distinguished
how do u guys put the bios on? by un soldering the old one and soldering a new one?

sorry if the questions sound stupid i am just a teenager adn am slightly new to these depths of computers

hans54

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
You could do a couple of things if you have the equipment.
Use the bios chip from a similar board that has been scrapped due to a fault that isn't bios related or replace the bios chip.

The bios chip is a flashrom IC that would have to be programmed using a prom programmer but you would have also have to find a working bios chip and copy it's contents to the new chip. When you purchase a new flashrom IC it is blank and the data written/programmed to it is called the firmware. A quick test to ensure your bios chip is working is to power up your computer without the memory and if you hear a few beeps this would ensure that your bios chip isn't dead or totally corrupted. Hope this helps.

G

hi solomon! i m also repairs motherboards graphic card RAMs and i m in pakistan (karachi).i think u may check accuratly ur m.board buses.some of them can week.i have solved very cases like ur case. ok :)

barbin_

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
hellow im barbin from philippines,,,try to un plug hard disk cd-rom,lan card ,,,try to power on only with memory card was slot in...

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I can relate king_solomon. I even do similar repair attempts. Once upon a time, my locale was not a good idea to get motherboards delivered in the winter time..they died before they started. (Talk about GAY as vtec) :ouch: :pt1cable:

To ease the mind a bit: mosfets burn? let the board go. do not attempt it..

if it is a cap, be it one of many in a row (near cpu) less risk to fix it. A standalone and bad? let the board go.

and if all appears well, including volts, and start up codes, and still not right? I blame bios. Let it go...

Nowadays I think MOBOs are pretty much like TV's and DVD players - If some part of it is broke throw it away and buy a new one !! - ( It'll usually cost more to try and repair and you never know if the repair is going to make it run for long anyway !)

charlessj84

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

you can also fix video card how much is your charge for that.

amaterasu_XVII

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
hi! i had a nf615 micro am2 754 motherboard,im having the usual psu problems and my os keeps on restarting. sometimes my screen gets messed up like a puzzle on the bios display unexpectedly, my smps doesnt work for some reason too..i kept on reseting the cmos, plug and unplugging all cables connections..i even put a thermal paste on my processor cuz i was suspecting heat problms..still my pc keeps on restarting like a cancer..pls help me.tnx in advanz

jake_83

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Does anybody know of a guide referring to how to remove a southbridge chip? I have a gate notebook motherboard that is having the usb device not recognized problem in and out of windows (linux, dos, bios). I was told the southbridge on this board is always the culprit. If anybody knows of a guide on how to go about swapping this chip out that would be great!

G

Hello! friend,

Check for signs of damage or corrosion on the motherboard. Corrosion can occur for a variety of reasons, from poor manufacturing to a sweat drip landing on the board from you or someone else working on the system. Check for cracks and burn marks too, as these might indicate damage from a careless upgrade or overvoltage from the power line or a lightning strike.

If there are signs of damage, corrosion, bad capacitors, or other burn marks, clean it with locker tinner and softcloth or replace capacitors, MOSFET, using soldering. (Googling about "Digital Soldering" can help).

Status
Not open for further replies.