how to repair/replace (normal.dot) or VBE6.LL files

magnogreato

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
I've been using MS Office Pro 2003 since '03 and have been using it on my new desktop with Win 8.1 for the last 18 months. Now all of a sudden when I start using MS Word I get these error boxes saying: "The Visual Basic environment could not be initialized" and help says it's either too little RAM or the (normal.dot) or VBE6.DLL file is corrupt and should be renamed/repaired. It's not the first 'cause I've got 10GB of RAM and I suppose it's the second...problem is I can't find that file to rename or how to repair the dll file. Can someone help??

Solution
First you should try Help inside Word and then choose Detect and Repair.
If that doesn't work, you can go to C:\program files\Microsoft Office and I believe that normal.dot is stored there.
C:\users\(your user name)\appdata\roaming\microsoft\templates is another place to check.
First you should try Help inside Word and then choose Detect and Repair.
If that doesn't work, you can go to C:\program files\Microsoft Office and I believe that normal.dot is stored there.
C:\users\(your user name)\appdata\roaming\microsoft\templates is another place to check.

Solution

magnogreato

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Help in Word does not provide ‘anything’ for that…
when I try ‘Detect and Repair’ I get this error box:
Error 1

Error 1919 configuring ODBC data source; Visual FoxPro Database.
ODBC error 6 component not found in the registry. Verify that the file,
Visual foxPro Database exists and that you can access it.

When I type in run, C:\program files\Microsoft Office I get error saying:
Error 2

Windows cannot find ‘C:\program.’ Make sure you typed the name correctly.

So then I typed in C:\users\(my name)\appdata\roaming\microsoft\templates
and got this error box:

Error 3

Location is not available
C:\programfiles\ is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you’re connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the location still can’t be found, it might have been moved or deleted.

I thought a reinstall/repair of Office would work, but it gives me Error 1
so now I’m stuck good. All of Office works except for the Visual Basic error that keeps
popping up when I’m in Outlook and/or Word.