[SOLVED] How to replace an ssd in a laptop

chriswa2002

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
Hi, thanks for stopping by.
So about a year ago, my desktop pc died, but it had a SSD as its main windows drive, the operating system worked in the ssd. Today im wondering if i can install that SSD in my laptop.
Do i just take the laptop's SSD away and replace it with the new one? If i [mess] up and it does not turn on, can i just revert that by putting the old SSD in? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
So about a year ago, my desktop pc died, but it had a SSD as its main windows drive, the operating system worked in the ssd. Today im wondering if i can install that SSD in my laptop.
Do i just take the laptop's SSD away and replace it with the new one? If i f*ck up and it does not turn on, can i just revert that by putting the old SSD in? Thanks in advance!
The physical drive, sure.
The Windows OS on it? No.

Goinmg from a desktop to a laptop, it will need a full reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan
Do i just take the laptop's SSD away and replace it with the new one? If i f*ck up and it does not turn on, can i just revert that by putting the old SSD in? Thanks in advance!
The physical drive, sure.
The Windows OS on it? No.

Goinmg from a desktop to a laptop, it will need a full reinstall.

Solution
Some newer laptops use a m.2 size ssd, m.2 is about the size of a stick of gum.
If your desktop is a 2.5" ssd, it will not fit unless the laptop has a space fot a 2.5" drive.
What is your objective?
I might presume that your desktop ssd is larger.

It is unlikely to work since your desktop ssd will not have the necessary laptop drivers.
But, no harm will come if you want to try.
It would be helpful if you could supply the make/model of your laptop and of your desktop ssd.