Question how to replace failing drive

Apr 9, 2020
My SDD with Win 7 is failing. I mainly use it to host an external SDD with my work files, so not a lot of software is installed. It is failing hard and after it boots ok, it's hard to do anything without it freezing up. So....do I clone it, or try to just start fresh with the new SDD I got? I don't mind installing the software again, but I am more concerned about network settings since it's the main hub of 7 other computers. I just removed the external with my work files from it and plugged that into my daily computer for now.

If i start fresh, I guess i have to make sure I have the ip address right, and if its static or not. Not sure what else, but I feel like there could be settings I would not know to copy over. I would do windows 10 with a fresh install btw.

Apr 9, 2020
You can replace the failed drive and the easiest way for the same is to physically install it, connect the right cables, and reinstall the OS. But when you don’t want to deal with setting up OS and want to get all your critical data, files, and folders on a new drive then it might be challenging. In that case, you can try a data cloning tool or data transfer tool.
Thanks, but I was looking for some insight into which way is better in my situation. Does anyone else have thoughts? Are there things people might overlook with the network settings?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020
i can get the computer to run in safe mode with networking, but it is still freezing in regular startup after loading. It loads windows, and I do something like click on my ethernet settings to try to get those and it freezes......:mad: