Question How to replace the CMOS Battery on Toshiba Qosmio X875-Q7380 ?

Mar 23, 2022
Hello, New today to this Forum.
Trying to take apart laptop per above to find CMOS battery # and replace it. I don't want to wreck my brothers computer so I need help to get to the CMOS battery and replace it. Can't find a Youtube video or a Toshiba OOSMO Qosmio X875-Q7380 repair manual either.

Thank you
Nicholas

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, New today to this Forum.
Trying to take apart laptop per above to find CMOS battery # and replace it. I don't want to wreck my brothers computer so I need help to get to the CMOS battery and replace it. Can't find a Youtube video or a Toshiba OOSMO Qosmio X875-Q7380 repair manual either.

Thank you
Nicholas

Are you getting error about it when booting? Or what kind of issue? Seems like its soldered on the motherboard (seen from 7min4sec)easy to replace with soldering iron IF you actually need to do it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkufZQiaFUo

Mar 23, 2022
Hello,

I removed part of the back and saw what looks like a small button cell with a blue border.

Actually, I didn't boot it up up. My brother thought it needed a new CMOS battery which I have previously installed before on Desktops not Laptops.

I'll have to put back together although the connector to the MB looks like it came loose and not sure how to ensure proper contact as I don't solder.

Is there a way I could keep that contact down to make good contact. Tape, glue, one-sided sticky tape?

According to him it's an expensive machine and I don't want to get it back in any lesser condition than I received it.

**Still I'm wondering if there is actually a replaceable CMOS Battery for that unit.

Thanks very much to you and the prior person who responded.
Nicholas

Hello,

I removed part of the back and saw what looks like a small button cell with a blue border.

Actually, I didn't boot it up up. My brother thought it needed a new CMOS battery which I have previously installed before on Desktops not Laptops.

I'll have to put back together although the connector to the MB looks like it came loose and not sure how to ensure proper contact as I don't solder.

Is there a way I could keep that contact down to make good contact. Tape, glue, one-sided sticky tape?

According to him it's an expensive machine and I don't want to get it back in any lesser condition than I received it.

**Still I'm wondering if there is actually a replaceable CMOS Battery for that unit.

Thanks very much to you and the prior person who responded.
Nicholas

Yes like i told in my last post that coin battery with blue tape on it is the CMOS battery, and it is soldered to the motherboard. It is replacable but why do you want to do that if the laptop is working fine without error message on boot.

"Actually, I didn't boot it up up " => does this mean the laptop wont boot at all and you thought its cmos battery issue?

Mar 23, 2022
The machine boots up with a blue screen stating to check the CMOS, according to my brother. I took it into a shop that will replace and solder as required.
Thanks for all of the help.

Nicholas

Mar 23, 2022
Service Tech replaced the CMOS Battery. Machine boots says No OS. Seems I need a way to reestablish the BIOS Settings.

I talked to my brother and is confident he can fix it. Any suggestions would be appreciated in case he is overconfident.

Thanks

Service Tech replaced the CMOS Battery. Machine boots says No OS. Seems I need a way to reestablish the BIOS Settings.

I talked to my brother and is confident he can fix it. Any suggestions would be appreciated in case he is overconfident.

Thanks

Bios settings will go default after replacing cmos battery, this also means "Boot order" for example. If laptop tries to boot from from drive you will get that message its very easy to fix in bios settings.

Mar 23, 2022
Hello, I'm back. Family sick issues.
-Tried everything above...Thanks...No luck
Still cannot get to BIOS.
Booted to screen and said Missing Operating System.
-Plugged in a mouse
-Seemed to want to boot from CD Drive
-Hirens Boot CD
Nothing happened. Sat there with no display.
Unplugged from power source. Unplugged mouse.
-Tried again, CD drive swirled then stopped
-After that I removed CD, disconnected power cable waited 1 minute
-Powered up, blank screen. No forward progress.

Thanks

The main battery might be dead too you dont need to disconnect it when booting just keep the power cable connected. You need to press F2 to get into bios when booting the laptop, quickest way is just to start spamming right after powering on until you get to BIOS. When you get into the bios use your arrow keys to get into "boot" menu, from there select your HDD/SSD as first boot priority. Press F10 to save.

Mar 23, 2022
Yes I sure did and tried that. No luck.

I also tried the following:
-Removed the HDD and reviewed the contents with an external HDD reader
-Surprise that there was no OS on the SSID. Of course he didn't tell me that.
-While copying a number of his personal files with the HDD out of the laptop then powered the laptop up I was surprised to see a Windows Recovery screen, of course with no HDD installed it was pointless but never the less a surprise.
-When I powered up the Laptop again I receive numerous of the same messages:
Intel UNDI PXE-2.0 (Build 003)
For Atheros PCIE Eithernet Controller V2..1.1.(12/23/11)
Check Cable Connection!
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key

That said his SSID has really nothing contents wise resembling a bootable device. / MBR etc.

I have a Windows 10 ISO DVD and could help since the Laptop seems to prefer that as first to boot from. I also have a USB stick with an ISO I'd like to use but I can't change the boot order.

Waiting for the copy of info from the SSID I pulled to finish and it's taking some time as expected.

He has 3 partitions and I'd like to merge probably using the Windows Disk Management tool...

Should I format the SSID on my other computer before I try to use the Win10 ISO CD? or What process should I take before I reinstall the SSID in the problem Laptop?

Thanks

Mar 23, 2022
Yes I sure did and tried that. No luck.

I also tried the following:
-Removed the HDD and reviewed the contents with an external HDD reader
-Surprise that there was no OS on the SSID. Of course he didn't tell me that.
-While copying a number of his personal files with the HDD out of the laptop then powered the laptop up I was surprised to see a Windows Recovery screen, of course with no HDD installed it was pointless but never the less a surprise.
-When I powered up the Laptop again I receive numerous of the same messages:
Intel UNDI PXE-2.0 (Build 003)
For Atheros PCIE Eithernet Controller V2..1.1.(12/23/11)
Check Cable Connection!
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key

That said his SSID has really nothing contents wise resembling a bootable device. / MBR etc.

I have a Windows 10 ISO DVD and could help since the Laptop seems to prefer that as first to boot from. I also have a USB stick with an ISO I'd like to use but I can't change the boot order.

Waiting for the copy of info from the SSID I pulled to finish and it's taking some time as expected.

He has 3 partitions and I'd like to merge probably using the Windows Disk Management tool...

Should I format the SSID on my other computer before I try to use the Win10 ISO CD? or What process should I take before I reinstall the SSID in the problem Laptop?

Thanks
And the battery is still removed. Should I put that back in now or later once I get things working?

Mar 23, 2022
Ok. I'm on my way. One partition, NTFS, reinstalled SSID, using Windows 10 ISO CD and Windows is loading.
Hopefully no errors and hopefully after windows installs I can get to the BIOS. May not make sense but that's what I'm hoping.

Mar 23, 2022
Windows Install went very well. No issues. Delivered back to brother. No need to get into CMOS any longer. Sometimes you just have to leave things alone.
Sincerely grateful for everyone's help.