How to request a password each time a locked drive is accessed...

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Hi all,

So I've activated Bitlocker on a partitioned drive on my PC for personal reasons, and I would like to set it up so that a password is required each time someone attempts to access said drive, not just the first time it is accessed per boot. Is this possible with Bitlocker or do I need to use another piece of software? Ideally I'd like to not have to pay for any software, but I'm not against it if it's my only option.

Thanks in advance for any advice guys!

grebgonebad

Distinguished

Understood. In that case it there any way to set up a folder within the drive to achieve the same result? Or is my only option at this point to download some third party software that allows for login access on a per-use basis?

USAFRet

Titan
I am not aware of any application or function that will log you OUT of a folder or drive, and then request a password the next time you access it.
And that would probably be easily defeated by just opening a File Explorer window in the background, enter your pwd, and leave it open. The user is still logged in to that 'folder'.

May I inquire into the necessity for this? What is the use case?

grebgonebad

Distinguished

Basically my PC is being used by multiple users, and while I could just create separate accounts for each of these users this isn't very convenient at the minute, as I'm constantly going back and forth from my PC. As such I just leave it as is so I don't have to be constantly logging in and out of accounts.

Now while this has worked fine for the last few years, I've recently found myself in a position where I'm doing some freelance work for a friends business, and as such I've understandably had to take some precautions to protect any data stored locally on my system. With that in mind, there are certain files and folders that I do not wish to be publicly accessible without some sort of verification process to ensure that whoever is trying to access said files is me alone.

If you have any advice on how I could go about protecting this data I'm all ears? As stated in my original post I've already set up a partition which is protected by Bitlocker in case of theft, but I really am in need of a system as stated above?

USAFRet

Titan
At the very least, completely different accounts, and only you have access to the folders with your personal files.

Other solutions:
A whole separate PC for your freelance work.
A removable drive with your stuff.
A NAS box with individual accounts and file/folder access.

I think what you are looking for could be easily defeated. Once the OS decrypts the folder for access, that can be hacked around.
And assuming you are in the US, a whole other PC may bring some tax advantages. You can definitively say that this PC is strictly a business expense.

But a BitLocker folder that is decrypted under Account A is always accessible to account A.
If someone else can log onto Account A, they can see that data.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Hmm. I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to having to use an entirely different system. I understand the disadvantages of using my personal system for this kind of work, unfortunately I'm currently not in a position where I can afford/store another system (UK resident here I'm afraid also).

Ah well. I'll have to arrange a meeting with my friend and see what can be arranged. Perhaps limiting what files I can bring with me.

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.