How to reset/remove power-on pswd HP Compaq 4000 SFF (please read)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello, I have trouble finding an answer for this issue, I hope you can help me.

I have a HP Compaq 4000 Pro Small Form Factor PC with Windows 7.
A week ago I was working as usual and then *Windows Update* asked me to make several updates, I always made them without any trouble. Next day when I turned on the computer it didn't start correctly, after the boot menu the screen turned completely white.

A friend recommended me to reinstall Windows, I tried but the system asked me for a *setup password* during boot (I don't know such password). I read the manual and found out about the jumper to remove the *setup password* (it's a piece of plastic, green and with 2 small pins named PSWD), I followed instructions to remove the jumper, but now when I turn on the computer it shows an error that says "162 system options not set" and I can't access setup with F10 because now it asks for a "power-on password" 01/04/1980.

Then, I tried removing battery (the one that look as a coin) for about 2 hours, I followed instructions as well, but nothing changes. If I press F1, F2, F10, F11, F12... it doesn't make any difference. Windows keeps asking me for a "power-on password" that I don't know.

Computer is like 5 years old, so warranty is off the table. I want to know if there's something else I can do before taking my computer to tech support. Any ideas?

Thank you for your help.

(I apologize for any grammatical error, English is not my native language).

Status
Not open for further replies.