Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Hello. Is it possible to reset the S.M.A.R.T stats in Windows 10? I have an HDD that was misused, and reported many warnings and errors due to sudden unplugging of the SATA while working, unsafe shutdowns, logical errors, electric shocks, etc... The HDD is now used properly, works fine, and doesn't report any errors. The problem is that the errors of the past are still persistent, and this is what makes me annoyed.

I want to clear the S.M.A.R.T stats, so the HDD's S.M.A.R.T reporting can start from a new beginning.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello. Is it possible to reset the S.M.A.R.T stats in Windows 10? I have an HDD that was misused, and reported many warnings and errors due to sudden unplugging of the SATA while working, unsafe shutdowns, logical errors, electric shocks, etc... The HDD is now used properly, works fine, and doesn't report any errors. The problem is that the errors of the past are still persistent, and this is what makes me annoyed.

I want to clear the S.M.A.R.T stats, so the HDD's S.M.A.R.T reporting can start from a new beginning.
Only if you are the manufacturer and have their tools.

Imagine what the hard drive market would be like if every average Joe could reset a used/abused drive back to 0.

USAFRet

Titan
What does that mean?

How would resetting the SMART stats affect the market?

Why do you consider resetting the SMART stats to be abuse?
If I had a drive that is currently reporting "issues" in the SMART data, and I reset it...I could, fraudulently, advertise it as a 'brand new'...0 faults.
Sell it for new or near new price, even those it is destined to fail in a couple of weeks.

Bottom line - You cannot reset that. It is in a protected area on the drive.
Leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.