[SOLVED] How to restore a cloned HDD to its factory settings (Can't Use System restore)

Apr 4, 2020
Hey guys,
I cloned my HDD about two years ago. Now, I want to revert the PC back to its factory settings. I've backed up my files to an external HDD so I'm not worried about losing data. I can't use system restore (probably because I cloned from an Acer to a Dell) so if someone could point me in the right direction to restore my system to factory settings, I'd really appreciate it.

Solution
I tried that too but it wouldn't let me. The reason it gave: "you can't install windows on a USB flash drive". Problem is, it's not a flash drive. Then again, I could've been using the wrong windows installer :unsure:
Follow this:
Settings -> Update and Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC. I urge you to make a full system backup to an external hard drive prior to doing a reset. I use the free version of Macrium Reflect for backups, but there are numerous other backup/restore programs you can download.

USAFRet

Titan
Hey guys,
I cloned my HDD about two years ago. Now, I want to revert the PC back to its factory settings. I've backed up my files to an external HDD so I'm not worried about losing data. I can't use system restore (probably because I cloned from an Acer to a Dell) so if someone could point me in the right direction to restore my system to factory settings, I'd really appreciate it.
By "factory" that would be referring to the original Asus.
Which you can't do, being in a Dell.
And you can't revert back to original Dell, because that partition no longer exists.

Just do a full wipe and reinstall of a bare Win 10.
That's as close as you'll get.

Apr 4, 2020
Settings -> Update and Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC. I urge you to make a full system backup to an external hard drive prior to doing a reset. I use the free version of Macrium Reflect for backups, but there are numerous other backup/restore programs you can download.
Sorry I think I used the wrong term. By System restore, I meant the "reset this PC" function

USAFRet

Titan
I tried that too but it wouldn't let me. The reason it gave: "you can't install windows on a USB flash drive". Problem is, it's not a flash drive. Then again, I could've been using the wrong windows installer :unsure:
Follow this:

Reactions: twranks
Solution
Apr 4, 2020
By "factory" that would be referring to the original Asus.
Which you can't do, being in a Dell.
And you can't revert back to original Dell, because that partition no longer exists.

Just do a full wipe and reinstall of a bare Win 10.
That's as close as you'll get.
Oh wow okay. So how do the full wipe as my "reset this PC" function is not working

Apr 4, 2020
Follow this:
Awesome, this worked great. Thanks!