[SOLVED] How to restore bios defaults

JacobiOneKanobi

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
My CPU is running hot and I saw somewhere restoring bios can help with it, Can someone give me a step-by-step so it is easier and I don't mess up my computer.
CPU: I7-10700k
Cooler: Corsair 240mm liquid cooler.
WINDOWS 10

Solution
Restoring the Bios doesn't always help with CPU temp unless you have used the Bios's overclocking features.

Method 1. if you can enter the Bios, there should be an option in the menu allowing you to restore the Bios to factory default.

Method 2. Removing the battery or shorting a special jumper on the motherboard will do the same.

You should try the first method.
Restoring the Bios doesn't always help with CPU temp unless you have used the Bios's overclocking features.

Method 1. if you can enter the Bios, there should be an option in the menu allowing you to restore the Bios to factory default.

Method 2. Removing the battery or shorting a special jumper on the motherboard will do the same.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution
Nov 11, 2021
Hi,
first, try to refresh your Bios to the factory default. And if doesn't work try to update manually. However, before updating your BIOS, you need to be sure which version are you currently using. To do that is to use Command Prompt or System Information tool.
Once finding out the version you are using you need to download the new version from your motherboard manufacturer’s website. Go to the Support or Download section and select your motherboard model.

All temporary settings are contained in CMOS not BIOS, if you wipe BIOS you would brick it.
Luckily you can't wipe BIOS as easily as just shorting a couple of designated pins or pulling the battery...if it were so easily available I'm certain I would have at some point in the past.

Although, it can be corrupted by disrupting the BIOS update process in the middle of it, for instance. I have done that.

Last edited:

JacobiOneKanobi

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019

Real quick, restoring to factory setting. Does that mean just getting rid of any overclocking? what does it do exactly?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bios and cmos aren't the same thing. Resetting cmos doesn't necessarily mean a reset of bios, it only means a reset of temporary settings. There are multiple hidden and non user accessible settings contained in the bios, some of which will not get reset by resetting cmos. For instance a cpu voltage might have an acceptable range of 1.1-1.4v, but because of other settings changes might be at that 1.4v. Reset cmos and it'll load the 1.4v as already set and acceptable. Factory bios default would be 1.1v.

In most bios, F5 will load Optimized Factory Default settings and will include Every setting, both user accessible and hidden. There's no guarantee with a cmos reset or pc restart that that will happen. Only thing that will happen is a hard search of hardware and initialization of OS saved fresh drivers and paths.

Reactions: CountMike