[SOLVED] How to Restore Windows 10 From The backup VHDX Filess it Made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2021
Recently my computer ran into a problem, but luckily a day before it ran into that problem, I had made a backup using the "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" in the control panel. I created an system image of my C: drive and another partition (I think, I can't remember). The system image restore failed, giving me an error (0x800703ED), and had formatted my SSD. I ended up deciding on copying the VHDX by attaching it, but that wasn't enough, as it didn't have the other partitions to boot from. When Windows created the system image, it created 3 different VHDX files, so I assume those are the partitions. What I want to know is if there is any way to restore all those VHDX files back to my SSD as separate partitions for each VHDX file, restoring my computer back to how it was. I attempted to use EaseUS and AOMEI, but they required a subscription to clone, and I'm in a pinch here, so I'd prefer a free software if possible. Thank you.

Solution
Install windows on some other drive and check file system on restored drive.
It might have restored OS partition while having problems with restoring boot configuration.

Again - how long did the restore process run?
What I want to know is if there is any way to restore all those VHDX files back to my SSD as separate partitions for each VHDX file, restoring my computer back to how it was.
Only way to use Windows system image is by using System Image Recovery option from windows recovery environment (boot from windows installation media into recovery environment).
System image has to be placed on some other storage device (not on one, that you will restore system image to).
This device has to be ntfs formatted (not exfat or system restore will not work).

039d02w2s9yfZVJntmbZVW9-12.v_1569470591.png

Jan 5, 2021
Only way to use Windows system image is by using System Image Recovery option from windows recovery environment (boot from windows installation media into recovery environment).
System image has to be placed on some other storage device (not on one, that you will restore system image to).
This device has to be ntfs formatted (not exfat or system restore will not work).

I attempted to use the System Image Recovry option, but it just failed and gave me back a (0x800703ED) error, formatting my SSD. I tried the System Image Recovery option again recently, but it just failed because I had installed a new version of Windows on my SSD. Is there any way to make it work or have an application restore it for me?

Jan 5, 2021
Note - SSD must be empty. Clean it before running System image restore.

I cleaned the SSD in the command prompt using diskpart, and then I tried to use System Image Restore, but I just end up getting the same thing: "Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using BIOS and this computer is using EFI"

Jan 5, 2021
Ah, my apologies, I see my mistake, when pressing F11 to boot the USB with the Windows Installation Media, I booted it in UEFI, instead of just choosing the regular USB. I'm really sorry about that. The System Image Restore is going fine currently, I'll update this thread if I encounter any errors or if it succeeds. Thank you!

Jan 5, 2021
The System Image Restore failed. I get the error "The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)", Any idea on what I can do from here? I formatted my disk using diskpart, so there shouldn't be any issues.

Jan 5, 2021
Check result of system image restore. How long did restore run?
It might have restored enough (even with that error).

I checked the results, and attempted to boot to Windows, but it couldn't boot, so I tried "Startup repair", but that failed as well. I'm currently retrying another system image restoration, but I don't expect anything different to happen. It seems that System Image Restore won't work. I'll get back one this system image restoration fails/succeeds. But in the meantime, if it does give me the same error and is unbootable, what can I do?

Jan 5, 2021
Install windows on some other drive and check file system on restored drive.
It might have restored OS partition while having problems with restoring boot configuration.

Again - how long did the restore process run?

Understood, thank you. I'm not entirely sure, but I'd say it ran for about 4-5 hours (1 terabyte SSD, I've used up about 530 gigabytes worth of space). I think the progress bar got all the way to the end and then failed.

Jan 5, 2021
As I suspected, the System Image Restore failed again, giving me the same error as before. I tried booting up from another drive, and I can see two other drives in Windows Explorer: System Reserve (D:) and Local Disk (E:). I can access System Reserve (D:), and it is empty except for when I turn on "View hidden files", where I see a marker file named "$WINRE_BACKUP_PARTITION.MARKER", and it is 0 KB. If I attempt to access Local Disk (E:), it informs me I need to format the drive to access it, saying "You need to format the disk in Drive E: before you can use it", and I reject formatting it, it gives me the error "Location is not available. E:\ us not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."

Jan 5, 2021
New development made: I have restored my computer, and I am overjoyed that I was able to restore everything, but angered at how I wasted 5 days of my vacation on this mess, when the answer was so easy that it could have been done in less than a day. I'm going to leave what I've done as to help anyone else who encounters the same issue as I have.

I checked disk E: in disk manager, it showed up as a RAW file type, so I open up command prompt as an admin, and run "chkdsk e: /f" (the /f to fix any errors) and it reads it as an NTFS file type, but then tells me "The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable", so I let it run its course, and it fixes the unreadable sector. I reboot, and bam, windows opened up, everything was there as I left it (even my tabs on Google were there).

Lastly, I want to thank SkyNetRising for helping me realize that the only way to restore my system was through the System Image Restore through Windows, and for explaining the process out to me and where I went wrong, even after I made such silly and stupid mistakes like booting the USB in UEFI mode, or forgetting to mention the XML files.
I also want to apologize to USAFRet for not responding to your message where you told me I have to rely on Windows Image Restore, as I had fully given up on it, and was in such a state of denial till SkyNetRising walked me through the process.

Reactions: mihais23
Status
Not open for further replies.